Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab

Go down

Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab Empty Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab

Post  Jan.Brekke on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:50 am

Inspired by the Flannery porn I fired up the grill tonight in balmy 30 degree temps. We enjoyed some nice porterhouse steaks - not Flannery, but close enough for the price. Since moving back to Wisconsin I continue to be amazed at the quality and prices of meats. Excellent choice porterhouse for under $8/lb.

I broke out a bottle of 1996 Altamura Cabernet. Todd and my favorite local wine store has an extremely large and eclectic wine selection. The owner offered to sell me a number of these bottles for half price and as a result, this has become our "house Cab" for the Fall and Winter. I love the Bordeaux-like nose and earthy/tobacco flavors. The fruit is still there and the finish is long and smooth. As long as I can find wines like these for a reasonable price I refuse to drink recent release California Cabs. Not sure what this producer is doing of late, but their '96 is a very solid Cab.
Jan.Brekke
Jan.Brekke

Posts : 24
Join date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab Empty Re: Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab

Post  Cris Whetstone on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:59 am

Living large Jan. Thanks for the note. I couldn't agree with you more on buying older Cabs. And it sounds like that Altamura is of my style.

_________________
WetRock
Cris Whetstone
Cris Whetstone
MaoDerator

Posts : 246
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Anaheim, OC, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab Empty Re: Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab

Post  Michael Bowden on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:29 am

Breaking out the grill in the cold.....that's the way to do it.
Michael Bowden
Michael Bowden

Posts : 142
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Atlanta, GA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab Empty Re: Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab

Post  Todd F r e n c h on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:46 am

Jan, she gave you half price on those?? Not fair.

Which butcher shop did you use?

_________________
If you have legs, and you are flammable, you are never blocking a fire exit -Mitch Hedberg
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Posts : 381
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : The South of California

View user profile http://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab Empty Re: Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab

Post  Jack Bulkin on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:28 am

Hi Jan, glad to see that the weather hasn't altered your flair. Actually, Parker (remember him) gave the 05 his highest rating ever for that winery. I think it was 95ish. study
Jack Bulkin
Jack Bulkin

Posts : 72
Join date : 2009-01-21
Age : 68
Location : Scottsdale, AZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab Empty Re: Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab

Post  Todd F r e n c h on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:42 am

Jan.Brekke wrote:Inspired by the Flannery porn I fired up the grill tonight in balmy 30 degree temps. We enjoyed some nice porterhouse steaks - not Flannery, but close enough for the price. Since moving back to Wisconsin I continue to be amazed at the quality and prices of meats. Excellent choice porterhouse for under $8/lb.

I broke out a bottle of 1996 Altamura Cabernet. Todd and my favorite local wine store has an extremely large and eclectic wine selection. The owner offered to sell me a number of these bottles for half price and as a result, this has become our "house Cab" for the Fall and Winter. I love the Bordeaux-like nose and earthy/tobacco flavors. The fruit is still there and the finish is long and smooth. As long as I can find wines like these for a reasonable price I refuse to drink recent release California Cabs.
When next we meet for wine, I'll bring a recent release CA cab and watch you turn away, refusing to drink it. Me and Sandia will enjoy it alone.

_________________
If you have legs, and you are flammable, you are never blocking a fire exit -Mitch Hedberg
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Posts : 381
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : The South of California

View user profile http://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab Empty Re: Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab

Post  Jack Bulkin on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:28 am

[quote="Todd F r e n c h"]
Jan.Brekke wrote:
When next we meet for wine, I'll bring a recent release CA cab and watch you turn away, refusing to drink it. Me and Sandia will enjoy it alone.

I didn't realize that Wisconsin was in the South of California Todd. Shocked
Jack Bulkin
Jack Bulkin

Posts : 72
Join date : 2009-01-21
Age : 68
Location : Scottsdale, AZ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab Empty Re: Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab

Post  Todd F r e n c h on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:43 am

[quote="Jack Bulkin"]
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Jan.Brekke wrote:
When next we meet for wine, I'll bring a recent release CA cab and watch you turn away, refusing to drink it. Me and Sandia will enjoy it alone.

I didn't realize that Wisconsin was in the South of California Todd. Shocked
Dude, man...I have a place in WI, and that's where my company and family are, and when I go, I hang out with Jan and Sandia!

_________________
If you have legs, and you are flammable, you are never blocking a fire exit -Mitch Hedberg
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Posts : 381
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : The South of California

View user profile http://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab Empty Re: Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab

Post  Jan.Brekke on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:24 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Jan, she gave you half price on those?? Not fair.

Which butcher shop did you use?

Porterhouse from Neimuth's on Oneida, near St. Elizabeth's Hospital. I think there's still a case of the '96 Altamura in Doris' cellar. I may have to pick it up.
Jan.Brekke
Jan.Brekke

Posts : 24
Join date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab Empty Re: Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab

Post  Jan.Brekke on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:21 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Jan.Brekke wrote:Inspired by the Flannery porn I fired up the grill tonight in balmy 30 degree temps. We enjoyed some nice porterhouse steaks - not Flannery, but close enough for the price. Since moving back to Wisconsin I continue to be amazed at the quality and prices of meats. Excellent choice porterhouse for under $8/lb.

I broke out a bottle of 1996 Altamura Cabernet. Todd and my favorite local wine store has an extremely large and eclectic wine selection. The owner offered to sell me a number of these bottles for half price and as a result, this has become our "house Cab" for the Fall and Winter. I love the Bordeaux-like nose and earthy/tobacco flavors. The fruit is still there and the finish is long and smooth. As long as I can find wines like these for a reasonable price I refuse to drink recent release California Cabs.
When next we meet for wine, I'll bring a recent release CA cab and watch you turn away, refusing to drink it. Me and Sandia will enjoy it alone.

While you and Sandia are pretending to enjoy a huge tannic fruit bomb, Heidi and I will be enjoying an elegant, restrained older Cab with perhaps just a hint of Kirsch on the finish.
Jan.Brekke
Jan.Brekke

Posts : 24
Join date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab Empty Re: Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab

Post  Todd F r e n c h on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:27 pm

Jan.Brekke wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Jan.Brekke wrote:Inspired by the Flannery porn I fired up the grill tonight in balmy 30 degree temps. We enjoyed some nice porterhouse steaks - not Flannery, but close enough for the price. Since moving back to Wisconsin I continue to be amazed at the quality and prices of meats. Excellent choice porterhouse for under $8/lb.

I broke out a bottle of 1996 Altamura Cabernet. Todd and my favorite local wine store has an extremely large and eclectic wine selection. The owner offered to sell me a number of these bottles for half price and as a result, this has become our "house Cab" for the Fall and Winter. I love the Bordeaux-like nose and earthy/tobacco flavors. The fruit is still there and the finish is long and smooth. As long as I can find wines like these for a reasonable price I refuse to drink recent release California Cabs.
When next we meet for wine, I'll bring a recent release CA cab and watch you turn away, refusing to drink it. Me and Sandia will enjoy it alone.

While you and Sandia are pretending to enjoy a huge tannic fruit bomb, Heidi and I will be enjoying an elegant, restrained older Cab with perhaps just a hint of Kirsch on the finish.
If it has a hint, I don't want to waste my time

_________________
If you have legs, and you are flammable, you are never blocking a fire exit -Mitch Hedberg
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Posts : 381
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : The South of California

View user profile http://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab Empty Re: Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab

Post  Ben Sherwin on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:08 am

Are '96 Cabs older already? Yikes.
Ben Sherwin
Ben Sherwin

Posts : 5
Join date : 2009-01-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab Empty Re: Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab

Post  Zachary L A N G on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:42 pm

I recently had the 2004 Altamura and didn't like it at all. It seems that the 96 is a completely different style (or that age has helped). I'm going to try to find an "older" one and compare them. Thanks for the post Jan
Zachary L A N G
Zachary L A N G
MaoDerator

Posts : 216
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Boston, MA

View user profile http://www.lawdoctors.com

Back to top Go down

Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab Empty Re: Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab

Post  Cris Whetstone on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:35 pm

Zachary L A N G wrote:I recently had the 2004 Altamura and didn't like it at all. It seems that the 96 is a completely different style (or that age has helped). I'm going to try to find an "older" one and compare them. Thanks for the post Jan
There's the ringing endorsement I needed. I need to try an Altamura soon. Now where's that pot stirring smiley? Wink

_________________
WetRock
Cris Whetstone
Cris Whetstone
MaoDerator

Posts : 246
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Anaheim, OC, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab Empty Re: Grilling out in the frozen tundra with an older Cab

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum