Wine Berserkers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winemakers

+21
Brian London
Steve Manzi
Mark.Ricca
Bob Kaminski
Roy Piper
Brian Loring
Shane Finley
Peter Cargasacchi
Ben Sherwin
Cris Whetstone
Terence T-Bone Livingston
Philip Ro b ert
Phillip Franks
Dan Kosta
Rick Smith
Steve Saxon
Bob Wood
Bill Tex Landreth
Todd F r e n c h
Zachary L A N G
Linda Baehr
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Winemakers Empty Winemakers

Post  Linda Baehr Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:42 pm

I would like us to invite as many winemakers from the board as possible to come over here. If you guys want to invite, go ahead. I will talk to some of them today. I would like to possibly revive the topic of the week, or something similar. Maybe we can speak more freely over here, away from jackasses and naysayers. Very Happy
Linda Baehr
Linda Baehr

Back to top Go down

Winemakers Empty Re: Winemakers

Post  Zachary L A N G Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:55 pm

I'd love to have more winemakers...so far we have you, Larry and Daindridge (you're a winemaker aren't ya)? anymore?
Zachary L A N G
Zachary L A N G
MaoDerator

http://www.lawdoctors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Dan Kosta just signed up with us this morning - maybe you can get him up in the chat
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

https://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary L A N G Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:01 pm

Excellent - welcome to the board Dan...great to have you over here too! cheers
Zachary L A N G
Zachary L A N G
MaoDerator

http://www.lawdoctors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Linda Baehr Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:02 pm

Zachary L A N G wrote:I'd love to have more winemakers...so far we have you, Larry and Daindridge (you're a winemaker aren't ya)? anymore?

Don't forget Carg and Holdredge.

Wait..............they're just nuts. Laughing
Linda Baehr
Linda Baehr

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Tex Landreth Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:33 pm

Yeah, Dridge makes wine for Richocet Cellars in Napa.
Bill Tex Landreth
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Wood Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:34 pm

I've invited Brian O'Donnell from Belle Pente. I'll get the word to Todd Hamina this afternoon.
Bob Wood
Bob Wood
Technical Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Saxon Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:21 pm

Linda Baehr wrote:I would like us to invite as many winemakers from the board as possible to come over here. If you guys want to invite, go ahead. I will talk to some of them today. I would like to possibly revive the topic of the week, or something similar. Maybe we can speak more freely over here, away from jackasses and naysayers. Very Happy

Linda, Did Squires kill your topic of the week thread?
Steve Saxon
Steve Saxon

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Smith Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:55 pm

I just tossed an invite out to Shane Finley too.
Rick Smith
Rick Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Kosta Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:17 am

Hey Guys:
Where Holdredge and Cargasachi go, so follows Kosta. Good to see a new, freshly painted room to explore. Here's to keeping wine fun and inclusive. Cheers!

Dan Kosta

Back to top Go down

Post  Phillip Franks Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:44 am

May I suggest Scott Wright from Scott Paul. I think he would get a kick out of this board.
Phillip Franks
Phillip Franks

Back to top Go down

Post  Linda Baehr Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:40 pm

Steve Saxon wrote:
Linda Baehr wrote:I would like us to invite as many winemakers from the board as possible to come over here. If you guys want to invite, go ahead. I will talk to some of them today. I would like to possibly revive the topic of the week, or something similar. Maybe we can speak more freely over here, away from jackasses and naysayers. Very Happy

Linda, Did Squires kill your topic of the week thread?

No. He wanted more winemaker participation on the board. I stopped after jackass Levenberg took out of context and posted on his blog something Brian Loring said in the "watering back" thread. You know, people want to know about the winemaking process, but when you tell them what actually goes on and it doesn't fit into their romantic notion of what they think it should be, thye try to tell you how you should be doing your job. Maybe here we can feel free to discuss without retribution.
Linda Baehr
Linda Baehr

Back to top Go down

Post  Philip Ro b ert Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:43 pm

Do I hear an Amen
Philip Ro b ert
Philip Ro b ert

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Wood Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:46 pm

I remember a time - and I don't know which forum it was on, it may go back to the old AOL days - when a grower was kind of blogging about harvest. He'd report his sugars and such on a daily basis. One day he reported that he'd watered the vineyard because the vines were really stressed at the request of the winemaker who had contracted for the fruit. One of our guys lit into him and a fairly contentious "conversation" ensued. The accusation was that the grower was watering the vines so the fruit would suck up water and weigh more, thus increasing his revenue.

Some people . . .
Bob Wood
Bob Wood
Technical Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Terence T-Bone Livingston Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:00 pm

Bob Wood wrote:I remember a time - and I don't know which forum it was on, it may go back to the old AOL days - when a grower was kind of blogging about harvest. He'd report his sugars and such on a daily basis. One day he reported that he'd watered the vineyard because the vines were really stressed at the request of the winemaker who had contracted for the fruit. One of our guys lit into him and a fairly contentious "conversation" ensued. The accusation was that the grower was watering the vines so the fruit would suck up water and weigh more, thus increasing his revenue.

Some people . . .

Ya...that's like a Winemaker telling a pilot how to fly a plane in adverse conditions. Those people are pebbles in your shoes, a newspaper in the wind, and tennis balls in the dryer.
Fro-terator
Fro-terator

http://www.fiddleheadcellars.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:16 pm

Dan Kosta wrote:Hey Guys:
Where Holdredge and Cargasachi go, so follows Kosta. Good to see a new, freshly painted room to explore. Here's to keeping wine fun and inclusive. Cheers!
Glad to have all three!
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

https://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cris Whetstone Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:34 pm

We need to get Rod Berglund here also. He's my hero after bringing those '68 Swan's to Fridays festivities. He's good pals with Holdredge also.
Cris Whetstone
Cris Whetstone
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Sherwin Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:18 pm

Linda Baehr wrote:No. He wanted more winemaker participation on the board. I stopped after jackass Levenberg took out of context and posted on his blog something Brian Loring said in the "watering back" thread.
I'm not sure that is fair to Keith. Brian talked openly about some practices that Keith doesn't (and many others don't) agree with as a matter of course. If Brian is comfortable with those practices then it shouldn't matter what anyone says. I'm fairly agnostic. However, let's not pretend that dehydrating the heck out of a grape and readding the water is not a decision in winemaking. If Brian or anyone else isn't happy with the practice, then they shouldn't talk about it in the first place (Note that BL is not the least bit embarrassed about these things nor do I think he should be).

The whole point of talking frankly isn't to get lauded for doing so, it is to spark debate. We shouldn't lament when it ensues.
Ben Sherwin
Ben Sherwin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cris Whetstone Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:30 pm

Ben Sherwin wrote:
Linda Baehr wrote:No. He wanted more winemaker participation on the board. I stopped after jackass Levenberg took out of context and posted on his blog something Brian Loring said in the "watering back" thread.
I'm not sure that is fair to Keith. Brian talked openly about some practices that Keith doesn't (and many others don't) agree with as a matter of course. If Brian is comfortable with those practices then it shouldn't matter what anyone says. I'm fairly agnostic. However, let's not pretend that dehydrating the heck out of a grape and readding the water is not a decision in winemaking. If Brian or anyone else isn't happy with the practice, then they shouldn't talk about it in the first place (Note that BL is not the least bit embarrassed about these things nor do I think he should be).

The whole point of talking frankly isn't to get lauded for doing so, it is to spark debate. We shouldn't lament when it ensues.
The debate isn't in question Ben. It was when Keith decided to quote people in that thread out of context in order to prop up his assertions on his public blog that is at issue. It wasn't fair to Brian and the others in that thread and was in the spirit of utmost disrespect.
Cris Whetstone
Cris Whetstone
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Cargasacchi Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:50 pm

Where Holdredge and Cargasachi go, so follows Kosta.

Is that brave or foolish?
Peter Cargasacchi
Peter Cargasacchi

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Tex Landreth Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:54 pm

Peter Cargasacchi wrote:
Where Holdredge and Cargasachi go, so follows Kosta.

Is that brave or foolish?

I think it all revolves around some bizarre tractor story.
Bill Tex Landreth
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane Finley Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:08 am

Thanks to Rick and Sherri for inviting me to join. Not a big "poster" but figured since this is a new forum....why not?
Shane Finley
Shane Finley

http://www.shanewines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian Loring Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:38 am

Ben Sherwin wrote:I'm not sure that is fair to Keith. Brian talked openly about some practices that Keith doesn't (and many others don't) agree with as a matter of course.
As Chris said, Keith took quotes completely out of context and twisted my words to further his agenda - on his website. In fact, it was pretty close to libel, which he (as a lawyer) should understand.

I don't mind the debate. Bring it on. But to run to another site and misrepresent the truth in order to show how "smart" you are is pathetic.
Brian Loring
Brian Loring

http://www.LoringWineCompany.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Terence T-Bone Livingston Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:48 am

Brian Loring wrote:
Ben Sherwin wrote:I'm not sure that is fair to Keith. Brian talked openly about some practices that Keith doesn't (and many others don't) agree with as a matter of course.
As Chris said, Keith took quotes completely out of context and twisted my words to further his agenda - on his website. In fact, it was pretty close to libel, which he (as a lawyer) should understand.

I don't mind the debate. Bring it on. But to run to another site and misrepresent the truth in order to show how "smart" you are is pathetic.

Welcome to the Jungle, Brian. But do you think for your first post it's appropriate to "attack" somebody on another board??? Ha ha...you missed some fun Tequila drinking a few weeks ago with Carg. Will remind you when we do it next time, as I'm sure you'll have some tasty Tequila to share!

T-Bone
Fro-terator
Fro-terator

http://www.fiddleheadcellars.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Philip Ro b ert Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:53 am

Big welcome to Senor Llama, great to have more and more winemakers added to the fray
Philip Ro b ert
Philip Ro b ert

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next