TN: 2003 Core Wine Coreferment; 2004 Realm "The Tempest"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TN: 2003 Core Wine Coreferment; 2004 Realm "The Tempest"

Post  Tony V e l e b i l on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:25 am

Tonight I made a bulger wheat "salad" with turnips and carrots and a flank steak marinated in garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, ground cumin and chipotle powder. On to the wines:

2004 Realm Cellars, "The Tempest", Napa Valley Red Wine
Initially this was very tasty with loads of currant (red), some herb and licorice but in the end too much glycerin and alcohol...I have to join with Jeff Nowak in not really caring for some of the 04 Realm wines....

2003 Core Core-ferment, Santa Barbara County
This needs to be consumed. Drinking now more like an aged Cotes du Rhone in that the finish is falling off a bit, the palate has leaned out a little too much. Underneath though nice raspberry, garrigue, cinnamon, spice...turns a little bitter in the finish. I have one bottle left and will probably use it to cook some short ribs.
avatar
Tony V e l e b i l

Posts : 29
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Oakland, CA (Rockridge neighborhood)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: TN: 2003 Core Wine Coreferment; 2004 Realm "The Tempest"

Post  Todd F r e n c h on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:28 am

Tony V e l e b i l wrote:Tonight I made a bulger wheat "salad" with turnips and carrots and a flank steak marinated in garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, ground cumin and chipotle powder. On to the wines:

2004 Realm Cellars, "The Tempest", Napa Valley Red Wine
Initially this was very tasty with loads of currant (red), some herb and licorice but in the end too much glycerin and alcohol...I have to join with Jeff Nowak in not really caring for some of the 04 Realm wines....

2003 Core Core-ferment, Santa Barbara County
This needs to be consumed. Drinking now more like an aged Cotes du Rhone in that the finish is falling off a bit, the palate has leaned out a little too much. Underneath though nice raspberry, garrigue, cinnamon, spice...turns a little bitter in the finish. I have one bottle left and will probably use it to cook some short ribs.
Wow, you are going to cook shortribs with Core!!? Baller

_________________
If you have legs, and you are flammable, you are never blocking a fire exit -Mitch Hedberg
avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Posts : 381
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : The South of California

View user profile http://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: TN: 2003 Core Wine Coreferment; 2004 Realm "The Tempest"

Post  Michael Malinoski on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:33 am

I have some '04 Realm To-Kalon and have to laugh every time I see it pop up on CT, with Levenberg's 51 rating and pithy tasting note of "Smells like tire rubber, tastes like prune juice." I know Jeff Nowak is not sure this will ever really become anything, but I'll hold out hope for a while...

Michael Malinoski

Posts : 22
Join date : 2009-01-22
Location : Boston area

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: TN: 2003 Core Wine Coreferment; 2004 Realm "The Tempest"

Post  Tony V e l e b i l on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:34 am

I am having a group of wine lovers over on Friday night and am cooking an "All American" menu...beef short ribs with cheddar stone ground grits, a salad of some sort and truffled mac n cheese...we'll have some CA cheeses, wines, etc. Lots of fun!
avatar
Tony V e l e b i l

Posts : 29
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Oakland, CA (Rockridge neighborhood)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: TN: 2003 Core Wine Coreferment; 2004 Realm "The Tempest"

Post  Tony V e l e b i l on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:34 am

michael...I haven't had the Beckstoffer or any of the other 04 Realms in a while...so I'll open another soon and post notes!
avatar
Tony V e l e b i l

Posts : 29
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Oakland, CA (Rockridge neighborhood)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: TN: 2003 Core Wine Coreferment; 2004 Realm "The Tempest"

Post  Michael Malinoski on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:44 am

I'll probably break down and do the same!

Michael Malinoski

Posts : 22
Join date : 2009-01-22
Location : Boston area

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: TN: 2003 Core Wine Coreferment; 2004 Realm "The Tempest"

Post  mike pobega on Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:32 pm

Michael Malinoski wrote:I have some '04 Realm To-Kalon and have to laugh every time I see it pop up on CT, with Levenberg's 51 rating and pithy tasting note of "Smells like tire rubber, tastes like prune juice." I know Jeff Nowak is not sure this will ever really become anything, but I'll hold out hope for a while...

Mike, the ToKalon from 04 is great. What does Levenberg know about Napa Cabs? I complained and tried to have the rating of 51 removed just on principle. It's like me rating a high scoring, high acclaimed and not faulty Y'Quem 51 when "I don't like sweet wines". A real jerk-off thing to do.

Fear not. Or sell them to me..... Very Happy

FWIW, I was not a fan of the 04 Tempest. The 05 Tempest is an entirely other animal....
Tony, thanks for the notes.
avatar
mike pobega

Posts : 114
Join date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: TN: 2003 Core Wine Coreferment; 2004 Realm "The Tempest"

Post  Ben Sherwin on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:16 am

I'm with Mike on this one. I like the other '04 Realms, but don't really care for the Tempest. In '05, I didn't like the Farella (but liked the Tempest). Always one outlier I guess, but the BTK is consistently awesome. Great people making some great wine.
avatar
Ben Sherwin

Posts : 5
Join date : 2009-01-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: TN: 2003 Core Wine Coreferment; 2004 Realm "The Tempest"

Post  Tony V e l e b i l on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:35 am

Ben - glad to see you posting. How's life in the Big Apple?
avatar
Tony V e l e b i l

Posts : 29
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Oakland, CA (Rockridge neighborhood)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: TN: 2003 Core Wine Coreferment; 2004 Realm "The Tempest"

Post  Brian London on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:39 am

Ben Sherwin wrote:I'm with Mike on this one. I like the other '04 Realms, but don't really care for the Tempest. In '05, I didn't like the Farella (but liked the Tempest). Always one outlier I guess, but the BTK is consistently awesome. Great people making some great wine.
Ben,

I agree on the '04 Tempest as well, just can't seem to find much to like with that one. I've enjoyed all of the '05 Realms that I've tried to date, had the Farella on NYE, for me it was incredibly fragrant, a mélange of fruit, spice, earth. Smooth, supple elegant mouthfeel, incredibly balanced, wonderful interplay between sweet, savory, ripe and cool. Long finish.

Some of the nicest people I've met in the wine business making that wine. Kudos to Mike and the gang.
avatar
Brian London

Posts : 10
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : San Diego

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: TN: 2003 Core Wine Coreferment; 2004 Realm "The Tempest"

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum