QPR White Recs

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

QPR White Recs

Post  Steve Manzi on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:32 pm

I would love to get some recs on whites that are tasty, almost everyday type wines. Anything in the $25 and under, and prefereably under $17 or so.

I would be most interested in wines that are not oaky, and not one that has that phony candy taste to it, if you know what I mean.

A great dry wine is the Pepiere Sevre-et-Maine Muscadet, so any of that type would be find. Those are probably the best QPR on the planet, IMO. And they age well too.

I love the Loire wines, Viognier (which will be higher in price for anything decent), Alsace (all of them), German Reislings and Gruners. This might give people a little feel for what I like. I am not interested in the buttery Chards from CA.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Steve
Steve Manzi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: QPR White Recs

Post  Otto Dobre on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:39 pm

Steve, my new discovery is Treana-- a Viognier/Marsanne blend form Central Coast. The 06 is very nice, dry yet sweet smelling of peaches, apricots and quince. To top it off, Frenchie says that the 07 is even better. cheers Only $15 at Costco.

Otto
Otto Dobre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Manzi on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:43 pm

Otto Dobre wrote:Steve, my new discovery is Treana-- a Viognier/Marsanne blend form Central Coast. The 06 is very nice, dry yet sweet smelling of peaches, apricots and quince. To top it off, Frenchie says that the 07 is even better. cheers Only $15 at Costco.

Otto

Otto,

I just checked wine searcher, and Wine Library has it, but for $17. But I see two other stores not to far from me have it for $15. I might have to put the arm on Ian or Gary. scratch

Sounds like it is what I would like.

Thanks!!
Steve Manzi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:46 pm

Otto Dobre wrote:Steve, my new discovery is Treana-- a Viognier/Marsanne blend form Central Coast. The 06 is very nice, dry yet sweet smelling of peaches, apricots and quince. To top it off, Frenchie says that the 07 is even better. cheers Only $15 at Costco.

Otto
The reason I like it better is that I get more Viognier in the '07 than Roussanne. Those who prefer Roussanne will like the '06 more, obviously.

Admin

View user profile http://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Manzi on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:49 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Otto
The reason I like it better is that I get more Viognier in the '07 than Roussanne. Those who prefer Roussanne will like the '06 more, obviously.

The '06 is about 5-6 bucks more. Any idea why? Maybe Otto is the new Parker??
Steve Manzi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Otto Dobre on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:58 pm

Steve Manzi wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Otto

Or maybe I am Parker disguised as Otto! pirat
Otto Dobre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loren Sonkin on Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:59 pm

I assume if you know Peppiere then you know Luneau Papin too?
Loren Sonkin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Manzi on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:04 pm

Loren Sonkin wrote:I assume if you know Peppiere then you know Luneau Papin too?

Hi Loren.....good to hear from you!

I probably have had it before, but just did not make a note of it. The '06 Clos des Alees is $12 at Zachys.....which is the cheapest of that one, believe it or not. Chambers has the '05 "maine" for $17. Worth a shot?
Steve Manzi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h on Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:08 pm

Otto Dobre wrote:
Steve Manzi wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

Otto

Or maybe I am Parker disguised as Otto! pirat
You are so banned! I'm Mao disguised as Frenchie, and therefore, you are TOAST.

Now I will belittle and emasculate you and lock the thread.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa McCall on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:54 pm

For QPR Riesling, it's hard to beat St. Urbans Hof (QBA). I think I paid about $9 a bottle for my most recent ones, and it's delicious.
Melissa McCall
MaoDerator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Loren Sonkin on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:22 am

Steve Manzi wrote:
Loren Sonkin wrote:I assume if you know Peppiere then you know Luneau Papin too?

Hi Loren.....good to hear from you!

I probably have had it before, but just did not make a note of it. The '06 Clos des Alees is $12 at Zachys.....which is the cheapest of that one, believe it or not. Chambers has the '05 "maine" for $17. Worth a shot?

Hi Steve,

Yes, absolutely worth a shot on both of them.
Loren Sonkin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Wood on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:56 am

A to Z Oregon pinot gris. No oak, yummy and comes with a screwcap so you can open it when you're already impaired.

Available EVERYWHERE!
Bob Wood
Technical Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich K0rzenk0 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:06 am

This rolls in for under 20, amazing nose, thick, viscous, tremendous fruit and great balance!

While writing this I even popped in another order at WL.

2005 René Barth Gewürztraminer Roemerberg
Rich K0rzenk0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Manzi on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:01 pm

Melissa McCall wrote:For QPR Riesling, it's hard to beat St. Urbans Hof (QBA). I think I paid about $9 a bottle for my most recent ones, and it's delicious.

Thanks Melissa,

I'll give it a whirl.

Bertelli's has the NV for $11

I see that the Shoppers Wine in Union near me has the '07, but it is $12.

There is an '02 not too far from me too, but for $16.

What do you think?

Thanks
Steve Manzi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Manzi on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:05 pm

Bob Wood wrote:A to Z Oregon pinot gris. No oak, yummy and comes with a screwcap so you can open it when you're already impaired.

Available EVERYWHERE!

Bob,

Any recent years better than others? The '06 is right around the corner here for $11 at Shoppers. The '05 at Stirling Wines is $14. The '07 at Circles Liquor for $12.

(I give the stores just in case others might be interested too....save em a few key strokes)

Thanks!
Steve Manzi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Manzi on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:12 pm

Rich,

I love good Gewurtztraminer. But I am picky. I read the review that Gary has up, and it might be ok for what I like. I want the Lychee in my Gew though, and I didn't see it in his review, but it sounds like it will have that petrol that I like though. Sounds a bit like a version of a ZH wine, no?

Thanks for the heads up on that one too. I'll definitely pick one up and give it a try.

Just for a point of info, I tried the '07 Cartagena Gewurtztraminer from the WL, that Miller gave a 91. Jay's note sounded like I would love it. It fell far short of the mark. Too bitter on the end, no finish. Drinkable, and interesting to a point, but not worth a repurchase. In fact, Gary asked me to let him know what I thought, because he had a chance to get it way cheaper on a great deal he had going, and I told him to pass.

Thanks.

Rich K0rzenk0 wrote:This rolls in for under 20, amazing nose, thick, viscous, tremendous fruit and great balance!

While writing this I even popped in another order at WL.

2005 René Barth Gewürztraminer Roemerberg
Steve Manzi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Wood on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:33 pm

Steve Manzi wrote:
Bob Wood wrote:A to Z Oregon pinot gris. No oak, yummy and comes with a screwcap so you can open it when you're already impaired.

Available EVERYWHERE!

Bob,

Any recent years better than others? The '06 is right around the corner here for $11 at Shoppers. The '05 at Stirling Wines is $14. The '07 at Circles Liquor for $12.

(I give the stores just in case others might be interested too....save em a few key strokes)

Thanks!
Get the '06, it's cheapest. It was a hot year so fair warning, you might find it a little flabby. I didn't. The '07 is excellent, too. I had one recently.
Bob Wood
Technical Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jan.Brekke on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:11 pm

I have enjoyed a few bottles of the '06 Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier this winter. This is readily available and I've found it for under $10/bottle.
Jan.Brekke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:30 pm

Jan.Brekke wrote:I have enjoyed a few bottles of the '06 Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier this winter. This is readily available and I've found it for under $10/bottle.
Jan, might I point out that I don't think you've posted this much in a YEAR over at Mao's forum?

Glad to have you here, that's for sure - easy now to keep in touch. I have to keep commenting on Sandia's Facebook statuses, too...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Yoni Ovadia on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:35 pm

Foxglove Chardonnay has always been a solid QPR for us... (Note, this is definitely not a buttery chard. Very crisp and refreshing.)

Last edited by Yoni Ovadia on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yoni Ovadia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:46 pm

BTW, I'm finding many QPR Rieslings in the under-$20 price range, so that's always a good bet.

Currently I'm struggling to find a nice Champers under $20.

'07 Treana is a great QPR white, so is the current vintage (it's always good) Navarro Gewurztraminer. I found a nice Chablis at Costco a little while ago that was only $18, and it was quite good - 2005 La Chablisienne Chablis 1er Cru Fourchaume

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jan.Brekke on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:01 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Jan.Brekke wrote:I have enjoyed a few bottles of the '06 Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier this winter. This is readily available and I've found it for under $10/bottle.
Jan, might I point out that I don't think you've posted this much in a YEAR over at Mao's forum?

Glad to have you here, that's for sure - easy now to keep in touch. I have to keep commenting on Sandia's Facebook statuses, too...

I think that you are acutely aware of the reasons many of us didn't post frequently or became more apathetic towards the other board. It's nice to post on a board where people actually have a sense of humor.
Jan.Brekke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:17 pm

Jan.Brekke wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:

I think that you are acutely aware of the reasons many of us didn't post frequently or became more apathetic towards the other board. It's nice to post on a board where people actually have a sense of humor.
Nobody here has a sense of humor.

Don't ever mention this again.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Kaminski on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:47 pm

Catena has always been a nice drink and at $12.99 at Costco, you can't go wrong. Always liked La Crema, but it is rising in price these days. I picked up some Vouvray for $14 last year, that was yummy. I need to go down and see which producer it was.
Bob Kaminski

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Manzi on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:11 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Navarro Gewurztraminer. I found a nice Chablis at Costco a little while ago that was only $18, and it was quite good - 2005 La Chablisienne Chablis 1er Cru Fourchaume

I've not had the Navarro, but have been told by others that it is good. The Chablisienne is very good.....I've had them before, but got them from Garagiste a long time ago. I stopped dealing with them too, as it because way too difficult to keep track of the orders, and they were very little help. Too much work, but I did like having many of their wines. Mostly hits, with a decent number of misses though.
Steve Manzi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top