QPR White Recs

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: QPR White Recs

Post  Rich K0rzenk0 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:05 pm

Steve Manzi wrote:Rich,

I love good Gewurtztraminer. But I am picky. I read the review that Gary has up, and it might be ok for what I like. I want the Lychee in my Gew though, and I didn't see it in his review, but it sounds like it will have that petrol that I like though. Sounds a bit like a version of a ZH wine, no?

Thanks for the heads up on that one too. I'll definitely pick one up and give it a try.

Just for a point of info, I tried the '07 Cartagena Gewurtztraminer from the WL, that Miller gave a 91. Jay's note sounded like I would love it. It fell far short of the mark. Too bitter on the end, no finish. Drinkable, and interesting to a point, but not worth a repurchase. In fact, Gary asked me to let him know what I thought, because he had a chance to get it way cheaper on a great deal he had going, and I told him to pass.

Thanks.

Rich K0rzenk0 wrote:This rolls in for under 20, amazing nose, thick, viscous, tremendous fruit and great balance!

While writing this I even popped in another order at WL.

2005 Ren├ę Barth Gew├╝rztraminer Roemerberg

Hi Steve,

This may not be your cup of tea then. Its got the petrol, but on the fruit side I would have to say Gary's is spot on with the pineapple syrup and honey cut with lemons (just took a look on CT to compare). Disregarding the other characteristics, that's the core, Lychee is not a primary or really even a secondary characteristic IMHO. It is a serious wine though, heavy, heavy nose and carries through. I've never had the Cartagena Gewurtztraminer but see where you're going. This finishes more as with a thick resin-like coating of honeyed fruit as opposed to being bitter. I dug the style and think it to be a value for being under 20. It has some ZH qualities, but definitely more depth and focus from what I've seen from ZH (not that I have them stacked by the case but enough prior experience). I'll see if anything else pops up now that I know a bit more about your tastes.
Rich K0rzenk0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Manzi on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:08 pm

Thanks Rich.

I think you are on to what I am looking for. I want something serious, and not something the seems serious at first, and then trails off to disappoint you.

I want REAL Gew.

Much appreciated.
Steve Manzi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane Finley on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:40 pm

try palmina....best domestic whites ive tasted....also channing daughters on long island. both make special domestic versions of northern italian whites.
Shane Finley

View user profile http://www.shanewines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Wood on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:58 pm

Jan.Brekke wrote:I have enjoyed a few bottles of the '06 Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier this winter. This is readily available and I've found it for under $10/bottle.
I'd forgotten about that wine. It was a go-to for a while when I still lived in NoSnoCal.
Bob Wood
Technical Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Melissa McCall on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:22 am

Steve Manzi wrote:
Melissa McCall wrote:For QPR Riesling, it's hard to beat St. Urbans Hof (QBA). I think I paid about $9 a bottle for my most recent ones, and it's delicious.

Thanks Melissa,

I'll give it a whirl.

Bertelli's has the NV for $11

I see that the Shoppers Wine in Union near me has the '07, but it is $12.

There is an '02 not too far from me too, but for $16.

What do you think?

Thanks

Steve, I wouldn't spend the extra few bucks on an older vintage of a QBA. I'd grab a bottle of the '07 and drink it with something spicy. I can't remember if the one I drank most recently was an '06 or '07, but it had a touch of sweetness to it and was really nice with Thai food.
Melissa McCall
MaoDerator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark.Ricca on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:25 am

Steve,
I would second the reco for Foxglove. Bob Varner seems to have the formula for that wine down. No malo, only 15% of the juice goes into oak.
It sparkles and pleases.....

I like a little more mineral and acid and I discovered the Southern Right SB a few years back. At about $12, it rocks.
Ruedas also rock my world and they are still coming in for the most part under $12. The current fave is Las Brisas from Jorge Ordonez.

"Somebody get this freaking duck away from me!!!"
Mark.Ricca

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan Smyth on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:52 pm

One word: Prosecco.

Everything else is just so much poseur-ing.

Nathan Smyth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top