Wine Berserkers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Funny notes from Cellar Tracker

+8
Philip Ro b ert
Yoni Ovadia
William Segui
Dennis A
Rick Gregory
Bill Tex Landreth
Tony V e l e b i l
Jorge Henriquez
12 posters

Go down

Funny notes from Cellar Tracker Empty Funny notes from Cellar Tracker

Post  Jorge Henriquez Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:46 pm

Some of these caught my eye. Feel free to post some other funnies.

2005 Alban Vineyards Pandora
A fantastic wine. Possibly my WOTD. [He] kept reminding me that it wasn't a traditional grenache profile - doesn't matter to me! I loved it. There were notes on the nose I've never had before. Lots of sweet fruit with a tiny, tiny bit of spicy earth on the nose. I loved it. I got a "no soup for you" postcard from Albam last Fall. Does anyone know how long I'll have to wait?

2005 Cayuse Grenache God Only Knows
Earthy fruit. Okay, much more traditional than Pandora. Thanks for sharing this.

2000 Nicolas Potel Romanée St. Vivant
I was glad to get a taste of this. Nice, with a lot of fruit, without being crazy jammy. I liked it.
(Crazy jammy? scratch )

ANd now the trifecta:

1989 Château Guiraud
Nice.
2006 Holdredge Pinot Gris Grace's Cuvée
Nice
1998 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume
Not for me.
Jorge Henriquez
Jorge Henriquez
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Funny notes from Cellar Tracker Empty Re: Funny notes from Cellar Tracker

Post  Tony V e l e b i l Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:08 pm

Jorge - some of my faves are not just the notes but the notes with the scores (and I'll see if I can dig a few up). Stuff like, thin, hot with a short finish but nice fruit. 92/100. I scratch my head thinking how can a wine be short, hot and thin (unless it was Alyssa Milano or someone) and be 92 pts.
Tony V e l e b i l
Tony V e l e b i l

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Tex Landreth Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:11 pm

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
2005 Cayuse Grenache God Only Knows
Earthy fruit. Okay, much more traditional than Pandora. Thanks for sharing this.

Obviously this wasn't Wagner.
Bill Tex Landreth
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Gregory Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:31 pm

Tony... you mean the scoring range doesn't start at 90?

Rick Gregory

Back to top Go down

Post  Jorge Henriquez Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:31 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:Obviously this wasn't Wagner.

lol!

Tony - I agree. Love those juxtaposed yet contrasting scores with notes. Dig some up and let's have a laugh.
Jorge Henriquez
Jorge Henriquez
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennis A Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:42 pm

There are countless notes that say worthless stuff like "had this with dinner at the club," or "not really my style," or "my wife really liked it."

Yippee!
Dennis A
Dennis A

Back to top Go down

Post  William Segui Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:47 pm

I find these threads really interesting. Cellartracker works because it allows people to publish notes on wines they have drunk. The problem I find is audience. Sometimes I post notes for the community, other times I use it as a depository for things I want/need to remember. I'm fully aware that sometimes I write notes that are no use to anyone but myself- and paying for the service, I don't feel bad about that. If you were to take everyone that uses Cellartracker to task for a note that may not make sense to anyone but themselves, all they'll do (see: all I'll do) is mark my notes as private, which on the whole makes Cellartracker less useful, IMHO.
William Segui
William Segui

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony V e l e b i l Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:58 pm

How about this on a 2005 Petite Eglise...note he/she says "No Rating" yet rates it a 90.

"95% submerged in deep sleep. What could be unearthed was the typical Eglise-earmark fruit of mentholated black cherry. Silky and packed and stacked, but as closed as you can get. No rating."
Tony V e l e b i l
Tony V e l e b i l

Back to top Go down

Post  Yoni Ovadia Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:40 pm

2005 Château Carbonnieux
Well made. Nice restraint, at least initially. Not over-oaked. Consistent with other 2005s. Maybe just a smidgeon hot but nothing that presents a problem. 13.5%. Love that Graves bouquet. Deep ruby morphing into purple at the center of the glass. Perfect match with the sirloin. A decent bargain in the low $30s. I don't believe I've ever had this wine before from any previous vintage but you get the sense this estate rose to higher levels in 2005 because of a) the quality of the vintage and b) attention to quality in the winemaking. I have a couple bottles left in my cellar and I'll probably buy a couple more. It developed nicely in the glass during dinner. A classy effort. After some initial restraint, it became quite sexy. Tar yummily developing. Lots of tar and asphalt, brings me to the side of the road in Bordeaux, where the lush vinyard meets hot roadside on a sunny midday around September 15th or so. In the end there was a lovely integration of black cherry with restrained elements of wood. Very nice. How to score it? I was initially going to rate it "only" 89 points, but it kept developing beautifully, and I concluded there was no way this was anything less than a 90 pointer. I was going to keep away from the RMP 91 point rating, but, damn it, this is better than 90 points. It's like, if Tony Perez is in the Hall of Fame, how can Jim Rice not be? Sandy Kaufax is in but not Bert Blyleven? But it's not a 92-pointer-- it's no Wade Boggs-- or 93 pointer-- no Tony Gwynn.... It's a nice, solid, 91 pointer, a Ryne Sandberg or Paul Molitor.... Robert Parker did it to me again! 91 points it is! He analyzes in sixty seconds of sipping, swirling, and spitting, what takes me five hours of drinking and analyzing to come to the same conclusion. Rating: 91
Yoni Ovadia
Yoni Ovadia

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Tex Landreth Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:43 pm

Yoni, that is priceless. How drunk was he when writing that out?
Bill Tex Landreth
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yoni Ovadia Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:45 pm

From the same guy. He toned this down a little as I remember when he originally posted this...

2005 Château Cap de Faugères

Well now, wasn't this a sassy little thing. A rollercoaster ride. For a good little Catholic boy like me who has never had this wine, its concentration slaps you in the face unexpectedly, like the local bishop at your third grade confirmation. It being my first experience with Cap de Faugeres from any vintage, I don't know whether this is the style it always produces, or whether it is because 2005 is the vintage of the millenium? I know AKR has always spoken positively about this wine. The alcohol-- 14.5%-- is huge but, at least initially, reined in. More on that later. It features a deep, dense purple color that turns to deep ruby just before the rim. A beautiful, pure color, actually, with a powerful cassis/lead pencil nose. Early impressions are that this is a steal at the $16 price level currently offered at PJs Wine Warehouse in upper Manhattan. I'll bet this wine would pull off some upsets in blind tastings against wines of greater breed. I found it a blockbuster, at least at the outset. It may be a bit unbalanced, and who knows whether the high alcohol will overrun it, but right now it is a "fun" drink. Peppery. Just before the tenderloin was cooked it turned really sultry, somewhat volatile. I was shocked by how big and fruity this wine is, it's not like anything I expected. But, for all I know, that's the norm for this wine. I can't believe this wine is going to age gracefully. But damn, it's so good right now! Monbousquet-like! Warning: This wine is not for everyone. Let's see how it matches up with dinner.... Truly, I must be misreading this wine because I have never seen it described anything close to what I experienced on this night. The wine did tame down with dinner, after an hour or so of air. What had before been Dennis Hopper sucking pure oxygen in some David Lynch scene from the eighties was now transforming to a more PG image of Kathleen Turner in Body Heat, cooling herself in the bathtub, reminiscent of Monbousquet vintage 1999. Parker rates this wine 89-91 points. Don't you just love it when Parker, or Tanzer, or Burghound give a score of 89-91, or 89-92, or 88-91, etc.? Gee, thanks for nothing guys! I'm going to go out on a limb here: I'm going to rate this wine nine.... Well, hold on a minute here.... Does this wine deserve 90 points? Or 89? While I ponder that point I'm also amused at how, if I were drinking some 14.5% swill from California that I'd paid $16 for, I'd be left with an incapacitating headache... but with Bordeaux-- even these big modern efforts-- the alcohol just seems to be better masked in general, better framed. In the end, I'm left trying to assess whether the high alcohol in this 2005 Cap de Faugeres becomes too noticeable. It begins to become a little nagging. At one point after the steak the wine takes on a bit of a woody character. It seems to be flirting with disaster, walking a tight rope like the Quinaults and Pavie Decesses and Mmonbousquets of the world, those Parkerized oak bombs that walk the fine line between wood, alcohol, and fruit, everything is fine as long as the components stay in reasonable balance, but if not, then we have a disaster of Great Wallenda Family proportions. Despite the flirtation with disaster, this '05 Cap de Faugeres-- on this night, at least-- and for now, anyway-- survives. The woodiness seems to fade, and we're left with a nice rich, cassis-infused wine that, especially at the $16 price level, is deserving of a 90 point score. Note to Roberto: This would be a great wine to drink in a virtual live tasting. It finished very strongly. I always tell people who don't know much about Bordeaux that these are wines that need to be consumed with food-- table wines-- in order to understand all the nuances and complexities, not just wines that you pop and pour while sitting around with your friends in the loft. Well you know what? This 2005 Cap de Faugeres is a wine you can uncork and pour and enjoy very much with your friends while sitting around, no food needed (although some nice cheeses would be delicious with this wine). This wine "works." Bravo! Rating: 90 points.
Yoni Ovadia
Yoni Ovadia

Back to top Go down

Post  Yoni Ovadia Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:46 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:Yoni, that is priceless. How drunk was he when writing that out?

That's what I was thinking. All this guy's notes are like this. Hilarious stuff.
Yoni Ovadia
Yoni Ovadia

Back to top Go down

Post  Philip Ro b ert Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:55 pm

He almost gives Coehlo a run for his money...
Philip Ro b ert
Philip Ro b ert

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Saxon Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:57 pm

2005 Owen Roe Cabernet Sauvignon Walla Walla Valley (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley) [Click to view 1 label image] [Add to my wishlist] 9/15/2008

Popped and poured. A little surprised at the outset as this was as closed and locked as a 17 year old Mormon girl's chastity belt. Luckily for my sanity (my DAWGs had just got beat 55-14), the wine opened up beautifully after about 30 minutes in the glass. At that point, the wine became as unapologetically New World as I'd expect and hope from Owen Roe. Gushes of fruit that reminded me of those old Dairy Queen commercials with the river of chocolate and the mountains of blackberries , blueberries, and plums, filled my mouth. Plenty of firm tannins and heat were present to remind you that maybe a couple more years of sleeping might place this wine in 92-93 point territory. Fortunately, the gobs of fruit (twizzler rainbow, maybe?) and acid helped balance this puppy out and allowed it to dissuade my suicidal tendencies the earlier football score had me in. Quality effort by my friends at Owen Roe! 91pts. (237 views) Report issue, Add favorite
Steve Saxon
Steve Saxon

Back to top Go down

Post  Jorge Henriquez Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:10 pm

Philip Ro b ert wrote:He almost gives Coehlo a run for his money...

That HAS to be Coelho! jocolor
Jorge Henriquez
Jorge Henriquez
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony V e l e b i l Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:29 pm

Reddish purple, dark. Alcohol and white pepper from a muted nose. Alcohol and raspberry, creamy blueberry, white pepper on the palate. Nice but doesn't blow me away.

Anyone want to guess the wine and the score from the user...
Tony V e l e b i l
Tony V e l e b i l

Back to top Go down

Funny notes from Cellar Tracker Empty The Buzz

Post  J. Pfohl Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:33 pm

Tony V e l e b i l wrote:Jorge - some of my faves are not just the notes but the notes with the scores (and I'll see if I can dig a few up). Stuff like, thin, hot with a short finish but nice fruit. 92/100. I scratch my head thinking how can a wine be short, hot and thin (unless it was Alyssa Milano or someone) and be 92 pts.

Brian Buzzini perhaps?
J. Pfohl
J. Pfohl

http://www.globalplatinumgroup.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony V e l e b i l Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:36 pm

J. Pfohl wrote:
Tony V e l e b i l wrote:Jorge - some of my faves are not just the notes but the notes with the scores (and I'll see if I can dig a few up). Stuff like, thin, hot with a short finish but nice fruit. 92/100. I scratch my head thinking how can a wine be short, hot and thin (unless it was Alyssa Milano or someone) and be 92 pts.

Brian Buzzini perhaps?

Nope. good guess but it was a woman in LA posting on some Pinots. I asked how she got to 92 pts but my query was ignored.
Tony V e l e b i l
Tony V e l e b i l

Back to top Go down

Post  Brandon Miller Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:42 pm

2006 Holdredge Pinot Gris Grace's Cuvée
Nice

That one is from the same table as Sherri at Pratt's.
Brandon Miller
Brandon Miller

http://www.colemannicole.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter M Czyryca Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:03 pm

Bingo.

Read one on Kosta Browne the other day: "Heat doesnt detract from the trademark RRV cola and spice flavors, very jammy, with a hollow mid-palate and ok finish. I think the heat on the finish will go away with decanting" 93pts
Peter M Czyryca
Peter M Czyryca

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter M Czyryca Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:04 pm

Tony V e l e b i l wrote:Reddish purple, dark. Alcohol and white pepper from a muted nose. Alcohol and raspberry, creamy blueberry, white pepper on the palate. Nice but doesn't blow me away.

Anyone want to guess the wine and the score from the user...

Definitely a 92/93.

Wine is a Cali pinot?
Peter M Czyryca
Peter M Czyryca

Back to top Go down

Post  Jorge Henriquez Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:27 pm

Brandon Miller wrote:2006 Holdredge Pinot Gris Grace's Cuvée
Nice

That one is from the same table as Sherri at Pratt's.

I know who this i-is, na na na na na nah!!!!! Razz
Jorge Henriquez
Jorge Henriquez
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down