As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Bill Tex Landreth on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:04 pm

Lots of folks on lots of boards like to rate wines with various scores....100/100, 20/20, A thru F, etc. Does that really make any sense when reading a tasting note from a "lay" person in the wine community? Some people never rate a wine they drink under 90 points ever. I used to try and then I realized that it made no sense to me and probably to nobody else either.

P.S. For KulMike, I know you rate on the 100 point scale and this is by no means an attack on your style.

_________________
I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum...and I'm all outa bubble gum.
avatar
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Posts : 439
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Unsure Of Position Due To Velocity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Justin Wells on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:09 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:Lots of folks on lots of boards like to rate wines with various scores....100/100, 20/20, A thru F, etc. Does that really make any sense when reading a tasting note from a "lay" person in the wine community? Some people never rate a wine they drink under 90 points ever. I used to try and then I realized that it made no sense to me and probably to nobody else either.

P.S. For KulMike, I know you rate on the 100 point scale and this is by no means an attack on your style.

If you keep a log of the wines you drink and assign a score to that wine for your own future reference I can see where it could help people. But I think posting that tasting note with the score attached is nonsense.
avatar
Justin Wells

Posts : 93
Join date : 2009-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Bill Tex Landreth on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:12 pm

I agree.

While I don't assign points, I will say that I concur with a rated score if I feel confident that it truly is...and conversely point out one that doesn't jive.

_________________
I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum...and I'm all outa bubble gum.
avatar
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Posts : 439
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Unsure Of Position Due To Velocity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Bob Kaminski on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:26 pm

I don't bother with points. I post a TN with my impression which should provide anyone a good picture. If you happen to drink the wine and get a similar impression great, if not there are so many variables to ponder that it makes my head hurt.

I don't even pay much attention to critic scores, except for RP beceause if he scores it 100, I know I will not be trying to buy it No
avatar
Bob Kaminski

Posts : 56
Join date : 2009-01-20
Age : 60
Location : People's Republic of Massachusetts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Todd F r e n c h on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:28 pm

I do points, but like many others, for my own reference. I've re-bought on my own scores, and decided on whether or not I would buy from a certain winery again based on them. They are quite valuable to me.
avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Posts : 381
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : The South of California

View user profile http://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Cris Whetstone on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:36 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:I do points, but like many others, for my own reference. I've re-bought on my own scores, and decided on whether or not I would buy from a certain winery again based on them. They are quite valuable to me.

Points are for losers.

I don't bother because I feel like if you don't do it systematically you are wasting your time. Just saying that you liked this but not a lot and then say its about a 91 doesn't mean shit. I have thought about assigning them for my own reference on occasion but that is too much work for every note. If I really liked it then I note at the end with excellent or very good, etc.

_________________
WetRock
avatar
Cris Whetstone
MaoDerator

Posts : 246
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Anaheim, OC, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Todd F r e n c h on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:I do points, but like many others, for my own reference. I've re-bought on my own scores, and decided on whether or not I would buy from a certain winery again based on them. They are quite valuable to me.

Points are for losers.

I don't bother because I feel like if you don't do it systematically you are wasting your time. Just saying that you liked this but not a lot and then say its about a 91 doesn't mean shit. I have thought about assigning them for my own reference on occasion but that is too much work for every note. If I really liked it then I note at the end with excellent or very good, etc.
This loser does both - sometimes, I will just do stars, as I do at tastings at Winex, for example.
avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Posts : 381
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : The South of California

View user profile http://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Cris Whetstone on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:48 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:This loser does both - sometimes, I will just do stars, as I do at tastings at Winex, for example.

Stars at WineX tastings is a time honored tradition. I have recently purchased some of the gold and silver sticker stars to take with me to the tastings from now on. My notes will be so sparkley now. flower

_________________
WetRock
avatar
Cris Whetstone
MaoDerator

Posts : 246
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Anaheim, OC, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Yoni Ovadia on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:52 pm

I do them for my own edification. That way when I read my reviews I can see if my pallate lines up with myself or if I should just ignore my scores completely and follow Laube.
avatar
Yoni Ovadia

Posts : 116
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Sherman Oaks, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  C. Fu on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:52 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:I do points, but like many others, for my own reference. I've re-bought on my own scores, and decided on whether or not I would buy from a certain winery again based on them. They are quite valuable to me.

Points are for losers.

I don't bother because I feel like if you don't do it systematically you are wasting your time. Just saying that you liked this but not a lot and then say its about a 91 doesn't mean shit. I have thought about assigning them for my own reference on occasion but that is too much work for every note. If I really liked it then I note at the end with excellent or very good, etc.

probably cause you take so many notes the numbers would just go crazy. afro
WIth every great score comes great responsibility(to write proper notes)
avatar
C. Fu

Posts : 32
Join date : 2009-01-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Todd F r e n c h on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:01 pm

You all should see just how seriously Justin takes his notes writing - everything is so carefully done, checked and re-checked...

I guess everybody has to do at least ONE thing carefully in their lives.
avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Posts : 381
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : The South of California

View user profile http://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Justin Wells on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:13 pm

My point system is a bit strange, so I choose not to publicly disclose them. Although, I do get requests from many wineries to give them my scores on their wines. I take it on a case by case (meaning how many cases they give me free) basis.

All wines start out at 88 points respectively and are assigned additional points for the following criteria.

1-10 points for how hammered it gets me
1-10 points based on label design or branding on cork
1-25 points for the amount of Kirsch detected
1-5 points based on the likelyhood of it becoming "the next SQN"
1-10 points for what I like to call "the flaunt factor". If people are gonna be jealous or not that I drank it...
1-13 points based solely on the price. If it's expensive, it has to be right, amiright?
1-6 points If my note contains any Coelho-esque smells or tastes. Very rare...We're talking one 2-3 a year.
1-5 points based on rarity factor. If you can't get it, this becomes a "must try before you die wine"

For a grand total of a possible perfect 177 point wine.
avatar
Justin Wells

Posts : 93
Join date : 2009-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Todd F r e n c h on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:15 pm

Justin Wells wrote:My point system is a bit strange, so I choose not to publicly disclose them. Although, I do get requests from many wineries to give them my scores on their wines. I take it on a case by case (meaning how many cases they give me free) basis.

All wines start out at 88 points respectively and are assigned additional points for the following criteria.

1-10 points for how hammered it gets me
1-10 points based on label design or branding on cork
1-25 points for the amount of Kirsch detected
1-5 points based on the likelyhood of it becoming "the next SQN"
1-10 points for what I like to call "the flaunt factor". If people are gonna be jealous or not that I drank it...
1-13 points based solely on the price. If it's expensive, it has to be right, amiright?
1-6 points If my note contains any Coelho-esque smells or tastes. Very rare...We're talking one 2-3 a year.
1-5 points based on rarity factor. If you can't get it, this becomes a "must try before you die wine"

For a grand total of a possible perfect 177 point wine.
Mine is very similar, but I start at 90 points, have no possible deductions, and the Kirsch detection levels are in 5 point increments. (Kirsch syrup, melted Kirsch, Kandied Kirsch, Kirsch Liqueur, and Kirsch Jelly)
avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Posts : 381
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : The South of California

View user profile http://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Bill Tex Landreth on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:18 pm

I like my wine to exhibit flavors of Judd Hirsch...


_________________
I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum...and I'm all outa bubble gum.
avatar
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Posts : 439
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Unsure Of Position Due To Velocity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Cris Whetstone on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:18 pm

Nice Justin. I think you should post that Coehlo-esque note you posted to the Parker Board here just as an example.

_________________
WetRock
avatar
Cris Whetstone
MaoDerator

Posts : 246
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Anaheim, OC, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Justin Wells on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:19 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:Nice Justin. I think you should post that Coehlo-esque note you posted to the Parker Board here just as an example.

Are we ready for that kind of traffic here? People here I'm releasing notes and this place will be 2-3k members in an hour or less.
avatar
Justin Wells

Posts : 93
Join date : 2009-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Todd F r e n c h on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:21 pm

Justin Wells wrote:
Cris Whetstone wrote:Nice Justin. I think you should post that Coehlo-esque note you posted to the Parker Board here just as an example.

Are we ready for that kind of traffic here? People here I'm releasing notes and this place will be 2-3k members in an hour or less.
Ergo...this is why he spends so much time on his notes...proofreading
avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Posts : 381
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : The South of California

View user profile http://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  mike pobega on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:22 pm

Interesting as usual when it comes up.
Points are helpful mostly to the writer. It helps identify and correlate his/her own points of reference. Unless you know what a tasters preferences are they are like tyts on a bull. Smile

kulmike
avatar
mike pobega

Posts : 114
Join date : 2009-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Justin Wells on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:24 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Justin Wells wrote:
Cris Whetstone wrote:Nice Justin. I think you should post that Coehlo-esque note you posted to the Parker Board here just as an example.

Are we ready for that kind of traffic here? People here I'm releasing notes and this place will be 2-3k members in an hour or less.
Ergo...this is why he spends so much time on his notes...proofreading

You want another shot from the baguette?
avatar
Justin Wells

Posts : 93
Join date : 2009-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Yoni Ovadia on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:30 pm

Speaking of points, and I don't mean to bash her, but did you see this on the other board from Samantha Sheehan?

Even though it is seriously cruel to open so young, Richard’s favorite champagne is VVF. The only bottle I had in my new place was the ’97. I ran home and got it to “cleanse the palate” and let Rich saber, but Trevor snuck into the other room and sabered it with a gladious inside the apartment . What I love about VVF is the way the fruit tastes about 10 years older while still having the freshness and structure. Garrett thought it tasted like ’88 Salon but with fresh bubbles and lots of acidity. Really killer wine just too young 96.75pts

96.75 points. Really? You got it down to an exact science? Including decimal points? Wow. What was the .25 taken away for to prevent the 97?

Just sayin'.
avatar
Yoni Ovadia

Posts : 116
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Sherman Oaks, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Cris Whetstone on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:32 pm

I was lost in the charming tale she told. Those playful scamps always up to something aren't they? Rolling Eyes

_________________
WetRock
avatar
Cris Whetstone
MaoDerator

Posts : 246
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Anaheim, OC, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Justin Wells on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:32 pm

Yoni Ovadia wrote:Speaking of points, and I don't mean to bash her, but did you see this on the other board from Samantha Sheehan?

Even though it is seriously cruel to open so young, Richard’s favorite champagne is VVF. The only bottle I had in my new place was the ’97. I ran home and got it to “cleanse the palate” and let Rich saber, but Trevor snuck into the other room and sabered it with a gladious inside the apartment . What I love about VVF is the way the fruit tastes about 10 years older while still having the freshness and structure. Garrett thought it tasted like ’88 Salon but with fresh bubbles and lots of acidity. Really killer wine just too young 96.75pts

96.75 points. Really? You got it down to an exact science? Including decimal points? Wow. What was the .25 taken away for to prevent the 97?

Just sayin'.

LOL I thought the same thing.
avatar
Justin Wells

Posts : 93
Join date : 2009-01-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Steve Saxon on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:34 pm

I like giving points, not to mimic Parker but because when I check a wine on CT I can judge better what people think. How a wine is drinking now is more important than when Parker tried 10 years ago in a barrel.
avatar
Steve Saxon

Posts : 150
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Gig Harbor, Wa.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Bill Tex Landreth on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:36 pm

Ahhh...our dear friends the Sheehans. Never do they drink an non-legendary wine and never do they score under 90 points.


Last edited by Bill Tex Landreth on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum...and I'm all outa bubble gum.
avatar
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Posts : 439
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : Unsure Of Position Due To Velocity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Todd F r e n c h on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:38 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:Ahhh...our dear friends the Sheehans. Never do they drink an non-legendary wine and never do they score under 90 points.
It is physically impossible to score a wine under 90 points if you never drink one under 90 points, right?

_________________
If you have legs, and you are flammable, you are never blocking a fire exit -Mitch Hedberg
avatar
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Posts : 381
Join date : 2009-01-19
Location : The South of California

View user profile http://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum