Wine Berserkers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poppy and others going to UGC tasting

+6
William Segui
P. Davis
Bill Tex Landreth
Linda Baehr
Peter Cargasacchi
Todd F r e n c h
10 posters

Go down

Poppy and others going to UGC tasting Empty Poppy and others going to UGC tasting

Post  Todd F r e n c h Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:56 am

Is it wise to bring one's own stems?

I'm picturing a bunch of glass hotel Riedel Chardonnay stems available to us there...
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

https://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Poppy and others going to UGC tasting Empty Re: Poppy and others going to UGC tasting

Post  Peter Cargasacchi Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:45 pm

I am shocked, just shocked, that anyone would pass up Pinot and PENGUIN tacos to taste herbaceous swill!!!
Peter Cargasacchi
Peter Cargasacchi

Back to top Go down

Poppy and others going to UGC tasting Empty Re: Poppy and others going to UGC tasting

Post  Linda Baehr Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:35 pm

Peter Cargasacchi wrote:I am shocked, just shocked, that anyone would pass up Pinot and PENGUIN tacos to taste herbaceous swill!!!

Take a step back and look who you are talking to Peter.
Linda Baehr
Linda Baehr

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Tex Landreth Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:38 pm

Todd loves herbaceous blueberries.

]
Bill Tex Landreth
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  P. Davis Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:59 pm

I missed the event last year and the year before that it was held at Wally's, not the Hyatt Regency. If I recall correctly, there were Riedel Bordeaux stems there. But I could be wrong -- it's happened before. I'd keep stems in the car just in case.
P. Davis
P. Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  William Segui Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:02 pm

Anyone going to UGC SF this afternoon?
William Segui
William Segui

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Tex Landreth Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:03 pm

William Segui wrote:Anyone going to UGC SF this afternoon?

On my way out the door right now.
Bill Tex Landreth
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Dandridge Marsh Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:09 pm

William Segui wrote:Anyone going to UGC SF this afternoon?

I am...which I'm sure you'll appreciate since you're riding with me.
Dandridge Marsh
Dandridge Marsh

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark.Ricca Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:45 pm

For the benefit of us right coast peeps.....
What's UGC?

don't make me start filling in my own acronyms!!!

cyclops
Mark.Ricca
Mark.Ricca

Back to top Go down

Post  Dandridge Marsh Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:52 pm

Unionized Garbage Collectors

I'm not entirely sure what we're going to be tasting.
Dandridge Marsh
Dandridge Marsh

Back to top Go down

Post  Philip Ro b ert Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:59 pm

Dandridge in the house
Philip Ro b ert
Philip Ro b ert

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:31 pm

Mark.Ricca wrote:For the benefit of us right coast peeps.....
What's UGC?

don't make me start filling in my own acronyms!!!

cyclops
Has nothing to do with the coast...it's Union des Grands Crus - Bordeaux association. They have tastings all over each year
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Murray III Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm busy with other things or I might join you.........................Very Happy. Switchback or Bdx-----??? Hmmmmmm scratch
Frank Murray III
Frank Murray III

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:22 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:I'm busy with other things or I might join you.........................Not. Very Happy
Dude, that shiznit runs without you - come be snobby for a couple hours!

I'm wearing a shirt that has buttons. FANCY!!
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  William Segui Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:37 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Frank Murray III wrote:I'm busy with other things or I might join you.........................Not. Very Happy
Dude, that shiznit runs without you - come be snobby for a couple hours!

I'm wearing a shirt that has buttons. FANCY!!

Fancy buttons? You had me beat. I was rocking slacks and a nice sweater that has managed to shrink and cling to my ripped one-pack.

I'll be interested to see what you think of the tasting. I think 'a Bordeaux drinkers vintage' is probably the high end of the mark.
William Segui
William Segui

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:40 pm

How does lineup work at these? Do you line up at the tables where you want to taste beforehand, and just wait there until they 'open', or do they open the doors and 2 and all these sophisticates pile in like dogs to a pig roast?
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  William Segui Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:43 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:How does lineup work at these? Do you line up at the tables where you want to taste beforehand, and just wait there until they 'open', or do they open the doors and 2 and all these sophisticates pile in like dogs to a pig roast?

I was there about 10 minutes early, so I was first hand to the rush. Everyone just lines up in front of the doors, making it impossible for people that need to register to do so, then the doors open and they attempted to send everyone a certain way (starting in Pessac, with the whites), but everyone pretty much just went wherever they wanted.
William Segui
William Segui

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:12 pm

William Segui wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:How does lineup work at these? Do you line up at the tables where you want to taste beforehand, and just wait there until they 'open', or do they open the doors and 2 and all these sophisticates pile in like dogs to a pig roast?

I was there about 10 minutes early, so I was first hand to the rush. Everyone just lines up in front of the doors, making it impossible for people that need to register to do so, then the doors open and they attempted to send everyone a certain way (starting in Pessac, with the whites), but everyone pretty much just went wherever they wanted.
Post your notes up in this forum, William!

Why do you have to register? Is that for those who didn't buy the tickets ahead of time?

I'm thinking I'll head for Paulliac, then St. Emilion, then Margaux, then whites, then Sauternes...the Margaux showing is weak, and most will be headed for St. Emilion first, most likely, but for the rule followers.

How can they expect several hundred people to go in order like that? Those in the back would wait forever.
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  William Segui Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
William Segui wrote:

Post your notes up in this forum, William!

Why do you have to register? Is that for those who didn't buy the tickets ahead of time?

I'm thinking I'll head for Paulliac, then St. Emilion, then Margaux, then whites, then Sauternes...the Margaux showing is weak, and most will be headed for St. Emilion first, most likely, but for the rule followers.

How can they expect several hundred people to go in order like that? Those in the back would wait forever.

Register was probably a poor choice of words. Check-in would be closer to the truth.

There is no way you could ever go in order and they have to know this. That said -- the very nice pre-printed materials follow the producers in serving order, which made notes much easier.

I hate taking notes in giant tastings like this, so they are much more like impressions. If you post yours, I'll post mine. elephant
William Segui
William Segui

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:33 pm

Beyotch, I'll post mine, you just watch!

I post it ALL night long!

(now I have to remember to bring a pen!)
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  William Segui Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:08 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Beyotch, I'll post mine, you just watch!

I post it ALL night long!

(now I have to remember to bring a pen!)

Don't write a check you can't cash with that pen you may or may not remember. I'm typing mine now -- and it is taking forever.
William Segui
William Segui

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down