Wine Berserkers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TN's for some recent Cabs

+5
Cris Whetstone
Todd F r e n c h
Bill Tex Landreth
Sherri Shapiro
Otto Dobre
9 posters

Go down

TN's for some recent Cabs Empty TN's for some recent Cabs

Post  Otto Dobre Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:57 pm

2004 Cinq Cepages, decent on day one. Left half bottle uncorked, and unrefrigerated. Next day decided to try to save the wine so I corked and refrigerated. Drank that evening the wine improved dramatically, lots of fruit and spices. 92

2006 Quivet this baby needs a ton of time, very backward wine, stuffed with fruit, but not bursting out right now. You get a glimpse of the possibilities on day 3. NR

2006 Myriad, please drink it on day two. If you do so, you will find an incredible wine. It reminded me a lot of the 2001 Paloma Merlot, same flavor profile of cherries dipped in dark chocolate with espresso notes. Delicious! 95

And I forgot about the 05 Conn Valley Reserve. Day 1 the wine was thin, acidic and just a decent drink. Consumed the last 1/5 of the bottle on day 3 and the wine was a different animal. Lots of fruit and spices. With lots of time this wine may just merit RMP's score of 96.

Otto

Last edited by Otto Dobre on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added the Conn Valley)
Otto Dobre
Otto Dobre

Back to top Go down

TN's for some recent Cabs Empty Re: TN's for some recent Cabs

Post  Sherri Shapiro Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:00 pm

Thanks for the notes, Otto. I own both the Quivet and Myriad but haven't opened either yet.
Sherri Shapiro
Sherri Shapiro

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Tex Landreth Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:02 pm

Otto Dobre wrote:2004 Cinq Cepages, decent on day one. Left half bottle uncorked, and unrefrigerated. Next day decided to try to save the wine so I corked and refrigerated. Drank that evening the wine improved dramatically, lots of fruit and spices. 92

2006 Quivet this baby needs a ton of time, very backward wine, stuffed with fruit, but not bursting out right now. You get a glimpse of the possibilities on day 3. NR

2006 Myriad, please drink it on day two. If you do so, you will find an incredible wine. It reminded me a lot of the 2001 Paloma Merlot, same flavor profile of cherries dipped in dark chocolate with espresso notes. Delicious! 95

Otto

Interesting on the Cinq Cepages...so many people have had negative experiences with the more recent releases. Personally I enjoyed the '05 a month or two ago.
Bill Tex Landreth
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:29 pm

I'm glad to have Otto's notes back on the web - yay!

I found myself aligning quite well with his notes...
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

https://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Otto Dobre Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:38 pm

Ditto Todd, palate allignment=$$ saved.

Just a note, all the wines required extensive air. I wonder how many people drink their wines on the 2nd or 3rd day? With me it happens mostly by accident, and quite a few times I've had to change a negative review to reflect the improvement. Embarassed

Otto
Otto Dobre
Otto Dobre

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:40 pm

Otto Dobre wrote:Ditto Todd, palate allignment=$$ saved.

Otto
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cris Whetstone Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:45 pm

Otto Dobre wrote:Just a note, all the wines required extensive air. I wonder how many people drink their wines on the 2nd or 3rd day? With me it happens mostly by accident, and quite a few times I've had to change a negative review to reflect the improvement. Embarassed

Indeed. I'm always amused when people pour something down the drain in apparent melodramatic horror when the wine drinks disjointed or otherwise not to their favor with no flaw present like TCA. What kind of wine geek doesn't keep things around to check on them later?
Cris Whetstone
Cris Whetstone
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:46 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:
Otto Dobre wrote:Just a note, all the wines required extensive air. I wonder how many people drink their wines on the 2nd or 3rd day? With me it happens mostly by accident, and quite a few times I've had to change a negative review to reflect the improvement. Embarassed

What kind of wine geek doesn't keep things around to check on them later?

TN's for some recent Cabs Ronmark
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cris Whetstone Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:47 pm

Don't do that to Ron Kramer. He's good folk. Wink
Cris Whetstone
Cris Whetstone
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:49 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:Don't do that to Ron Kramer. He's good folk. Wink
But you see Ron is presenting Mao to us in the photo...
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter M Czyryca Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:44 am

Otto Dobre wrote:2004 Cinq Cepages, decent on day one. Left half bottle uncorked, and unrefrigerated. Next day decided to try to save the wine so I corked and refrigerated. Drank that evening the wine improved dramatically, lots of fruit and spices. 92

And I forgot about the 05 Conn Valley Reserve. Day 1 the wine was thin, acidic and just a decent drink. Consumed the last 1/5 of the bottle on day 3 and the wine was a different animal. Lots of fruit and spices. With lots of time this wine may just merit RMP's score of 96.

Otto

Otto - welcome! Good to see you posting...thanks for the note around the holidays.
Peter M Czyryca
Peter M Czyryca

Back to top Go down

Post  Otto Dobre Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:50 am

Peter, you dog!!! I Bought about 50 bottels of the half wine deal on Champagne. You know some are good and some are maderized.

So far 1/4 are ok. Almost 1K that I fuc$ed up.

Otto
Otto Dobre
Otto Dobre

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter M Czyryca Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:03 am

Otto Dobre wrote:Peter, you dog!!! I Bought about 50 bottels of the half wine deal on Champagne. You know some are good and some are maderized.

Otto

Bastard - that's why they went so fast! Laughing

How many have you popped? If you're looking to unload some of your "risk," I'd be happy to take 5 off your hands.

What little, teensy weensy powder I have left I'm going to unleash hell on Champagne deals this year. Even if I'm living in a cardboard box come 2010 - I'll have some nice Champagnes to share and trade for food and heroin needles. bom
Peter M Czyryca
Peter M Czyryca

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary L A N G Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:29 pm

Thanks for the note Otto...I've missed you.
You and Mike Pobega were my go to cabernet guys and then poof - you were gone!

I to have heard that people weren't happy with the recent Cinq Cepages, but I've never had an issue. I've recently had the 99, 2002, and 2004; all of which I enjoyed
Zachary L A N G
Zachary L A N G
MaoDerator

http://www.lawdoctors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Phillip Franks Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:43 pm

Great news on the Myriad. I bought a bunch in faith but have yet to pull the cork.

Thanks for the note.
Phillip Franks
Phillip Franks

Back to top Go down

Post  Loren Sonkin Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:18 pm

Hey Otto!

I had the 04 Cinq Cepages a few weeks ago. We finished it the first night among friends. I should have waited. On Night 1, it was BORING. Nothing wrong per se, just really uninteresting.

And I like Ron K. too.
Loren Sonkin
Loren Sonkin

Back to top Go down

Post  Otto Dobre Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:50 am

Peter M Czyryca wrote:
Otto Dobre wrote:Peter, you dog!!! I Bought about 50 bottels of the half wine deal on Champagne. You know some are good and some are maderized.

Otto

Bastard - that's why they went so fast! Laughing

How many have you popped? If you're looking to unload some of your "risk," I'd be happy to take 5 off your hands.

What little, teensy weensy powder I have left I'm going to unleash hell on Champagne deals this year. Even if I'm living in a cardboard box come 2010 - I'll have some nice Champagnes to share and trade for food and heroin needles. bom

Peter just PM me a mailing address and I'll send you an assortment of the 1/2 bottles, on me, of course.

Otto
Otto Dobre
Otto Dobre

Back to top Go down

Post  Otto Dobre Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:56 am

Loren Sonkin wrote:Hey Otto!

I had the 04 Cinq Cepages a few weeks ago. We finished it the first night among friends. I should have waited. On Night 1, it was BORING. Nothing wrong per se, just really uninteresting.

And I like Ron K. too.

Loren, quite agree with your assessment of the wine on day 1. Decent wine, to my generous palate an 88 point wine, but it changed, to my surprise.

Otto
Otto Dobre
Otto Dobre

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down