Wine Berserkers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Linda's Winemaker Topic of the Week- Zinfandel "wings" or "ears"

+4
Linda Baehr
Peter M Czyryca
Brandon Miller
John Holdredge
8 posters

Go down

Linda's Winemaker Topic of the Week- Zinfandel "wings" or "ears" Empty Linda's Winemaker Topic of the Week- Zinfandel "wings" or "ears"

Post  John Holdredge Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:07 am

Being as how Linda hasn't fired off a topic this week (or any week in recent memory), I thought I'd get it going. So this week, the topic is the mighty wings which Zinfandel can throw. Do you keep 'em? Cut 'em?

A few years back I took a lot of samples and while brix levels were pretty similar between the wing and the cluster, the ph was substantially different- with the wings lagging by as much as .15 to .2 in a few cases.

Since then- we cut 'em. And you?

John Holdredge

Back to top Go down

Linda's Winemaker Topic of the Week- Zinfandel "wings" or "ears" Empty Re: Linda's Winemaker Topic of the Week- Zinfandel "wings" or "ears"

Post  Brandon Miller Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:14 am

Cut em....and I'm a pro! Very Happy

Actually...I'm loving this new forum and I can't wait to see other vineyard management peeps / winemakers chime in.
Brandon Miller
Brandon Miller

http://www.colemannicole.com

Back to top Go down

Linda's Winemaker Topic of the Week- Zinfandel "wings" or "ears" Empty Re: Linda's Winemaker Topic of the Week- Zinfandel "wings" or "ears"

Post  John Holdredge Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:01 am

who is this Linda I keep hearing about?

John Holdredge

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter M Czyryca Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:03 am

I'm not a winemaker, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express two nights ago.

Also tasted a Peachy Canyon Westside Zin today that rocked (esp for $20-something?) and a Carlisle Sonoma.

That's all I got. Carry on winemaker-people.
Peter M Czyryca
Peter M Czyryca

Back to top Go down

Post  Linda Baehr Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:45 am

We cut them on most of our trellised vines, but one of our older head trained vneyards has some kind of scrawny clusters for Zin, so we keep those. It really depends on the vineyard.

Thanks John. Wish you could have been at Falltacular.
Linda Baehr
Linda Baehr

Back to top Go down

Post  John Holdredge Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:29 pm

Linda Baehr wrote:We cut them on most of our trellised vines, but one of our older head trained vneyards has some kind of scrawny clusters for Zin, so we keep those. It really depends on the vineyard.

Thanks John. Wish you could have been at Falltacular.

judging by the mimimal response to this, it really highlights why you need to be starting this thread each week!

John Holdredge

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Tex Landreth Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:32 pm

hey Holdredge....Gutting says hi and wanted me to tell you the duck fat grilled potatoes rocked.
Bill Tex Landreth
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Mary Baker Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:44 pm

It really depends on the clone and vineyard style. Ours is small berry clone, dryfarmed and head pruned, so wings hardly ever occur.

Glad to see a return to weekly winemaker topics. (BTW, I'm not a winemaker either, just a proxy for one.)
Mary Baker
Mary Baker

http://dovercanyon.typepad.com/dover_canyon/

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:46 pm

Mary Baker wrote:It really depends on the clone and vineyard style. Ours is small berry clone, dryfarmed and head pruned, so wings hardly ever occur.

Glad to see a return to weekly winemaker topics. (BTW, I'm not a winemaker either, just a proxy for one.)
We're happy for it too, those of us who are not either winemakers nor proxies - it's helpful for all those who enjoy wine!
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

https://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Holdredge Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:02 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:hey Holdredge....Gutting says hi and wanted me to tell you the duck fat grilled potatoes rocked.

Screw him- he passed on a chance to work harvest in order to finish law school on time. Talk about your misplaced priorities. The guy is dead to me, dead.

BTW- you send him an invitation to join here?

John Holdredge

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Tex Landreth Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:05 pm

Got nice and tight with him on Saturday down in H-Town. He has a standing invite to join...whether he remembers it or not I cannot speak to.
Bill Tex Landreth
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:43 pm

I could make this a sticky at the top - would love to have all winemakers participate and bring up a new topic every week.

Winemakers, what do you think?
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mary Baker Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:18 pm

Wow, that was fast!!! Thanks!! cheers
Mary Baker
Mary Baker

http://dovercanyon.typepad.com/dover_canyon/

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:25 pm

Mary Baker wrote:Wow, that was fast!!! Thanks!! cheers
Now start a new thread about vintages, or whatever other topics you like!
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rod Berglund Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:27 am

John Holdredge wrote:Being as how Linda hasn't fired off a topic this week (or any week in recent memory), I thought I'd get it going. So this week, the topic is the mighty wings which Zinfandel can throw. Do you keep 'em? Cut 'em?

A few years back I took a lot of samples and while brix levels were pretty similar between the wing and the cluster, the ph was substantially different- with the wings lagging by as much as .15 to .2 in a few cases.

John, the wings are the zinfandel version of selection massale and you cut them????? Shocked

Rod Berglund

http://swanwinery.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Brandon Miller Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:49 pm

Rod Berglund wrote:
John Holdredge wrote:Being as how Linda hasn't fired off a topic this week (or any week in recent memory), I thought I'd get it going. So this week, the topic is the mighty wings which Zinfandel can throw. Do you keep 'em? Cut 'em?

John, the wings are the zinfandel version of selection massale and you cut them????? Shocked

I don't understand this because I'm such a green horn but are you saying Zin Wings make the wine more diverse?
Brandon Miller
Brandon Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Rod Berglund Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:53 pm

[/quote]

John, the wings are the zinfandel version of selection massale and you cut them????? Shocked[/quote]

I don't understand this because I'm such a green horn but are you saying Zin Wings make the wine more diverse?[/quote]

Actually, that is a good question. I have done both and don't have a good answer. It was more a query of John who is a big proponent of selection massalle in pinot noir, because of his belief that it creates more complexity. Zinfandel is notoriously uneven in its rate of ripening. Because of this I am not sure that removing the wings results in more uniform maturity. However, we do it in syrah and I think that it makes a big difference in that case.

Rod Berglund

http://swanwinery.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Brandon Miller Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:36 pm

Rod Berglund wrote:

John, the wings are the zinfandel version of selection massale and you cut them????? Shocked[/quote]

I don't understand this because I'm such a green horn but are you saying Zin Wings make the wine more diverse?[/quote]

Actually, that is a good question. I have done both and don't have a good answer. It was more a query of John who is a big proponent of selection massalle in pinot noir, because of his belief that it creates more complexity. Zinfandel is notoriously uneven in its rate of ripening. Because of this I am not sure that removing the wings results in more uniform maturity. However, we do it in syrah and I think that it makes a big difference in that case.[/quote]

I've had John's selection massalle pinot and while good, wasn't my favorite of the '07's. John, do you cut the wings on all your pinot or just on you selection massalle vineyards?
Brandon Miller
Brandon Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down