Wine Berserkers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wine descriptors: How do you say it?

+4
Todd F r e n c h
Yoni Ovadia
Bill Tex Landreth
Mark.Ricca
8 posters

Go down

Wine descriptors: How do you say it? Empty Wine descriptors: How do you say it?

Post  Mark.Ricca Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:36 pm

I remember when I first got the bug, I wanted to very exact, vivid, and colorful. I would insist I could taste and smell black olives, rosemary, fennel, smoke, crushed herbs, roasted earth, etc.

That was ten years ago and don't know if my senses have diminished, or what. Even though now I am more experienced, more educated, and hopefully have sharpened my perceptions, I don't seem to pick out the things I used to (or thought I did).

I also seems to have gravitated towards a more non-specific set of descriptors i.e. red and black fruits, floral aromas, and I also focus on trying to pin down what seem to be more significant factors such as acid levels, alcohol, tannin, weight and intensity, etc.

What terms are you using in your TNs, and are you striving to be more specific or communicative?
Mark.Ricca
Mark.Ricca

Back to top Go down

Wine descriptors: How do you say it? Empty Re: Wine descriptors: How do you say it?

Post  Bill Tex Landreth Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:41 pm

Funny...I think the power of suggestion affects my TN ability. If I am alone and drink something without any external input, I tend to go with the generic of dark fruits, oaky, etc. If tasting with a group and someone mentions that Pax Cuvee Keltie smells of olive tapenade, I will get that immediately vs. what I wold normally call an earthy/fruity aroma. I have never really been one to pick out specific flavors.
Bill Tex Landreth
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Wine descriptors: How do you say it? Empty Re: Wine descriptors: How do you say it?

Post  Yoni Ovadia Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:43 pm

When I started (about 3 years ago) I would do the same thing and try and pinpoint things I would smell. Problem is, I have constant allergies and a subpar sense of smell so I use generalities unless I really can tell what it is I'm smelling. My wife on the other hand, has a wonderful sense of smell.

That's part of the reason I just bought that Le Nes Du Vin set. Hopefully it'll help me pinpoint things I couldn't normally tell apart.
Yoni Ovadia
Yoni Ovadia

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:43 pm

Pretty much the same with me - I was quite Coelho-esque in the beginning, pulling out school ball rubber or green banana skin or other super-specific random notes. Much like Gary V, I was happy to discover them and write them down. Now, I go more for mouthfeel, weight, finish, stuff like that, and rather than picking out specifics, I tend to try to enjoy it in a more collective sense. Still, my friends still like to use me as a game, and have me pick out some of these random notes, so then, when I concentrate on it, I can do it again, but I don't seem to on my own anymore.
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

https://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cris Whetstone Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:04 pm

I realized early that identifying all the particular flavors and aromas didn't mean jack squat as to the quality of the wine. That being said I do enjoy them but that shouldn't be the only thing you are looking for when describing and evaluating the wine. Its one of the reasons I don't discuss much at tastings or focused events. People sitting near me want to hear what I think but I don't like influencing people. Lots of people will do like Bill said as soon as something is mentioned. Some of the regulars love to announce what they are getting form the wines loud and clear. Neutral
Cris Whetstone
Cris Whetstone
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Linda Baehr Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:23 pm

I agree with most of what you guys are saying. I think when people like Coehlo get so super specific as to say blue stones, etc., they are just making things up. Blue stones? Really? Have you ever had a blue stone in your mouth? Would it taste different than a grey stone? My notes are very basic and simple.
And unfortunatel, Mark, as men approach and pass age 50, their sense of taste starts to diminish. Not saying that is your case, but it is just male physiology. Mad
Linda Baehr
Linda Baehr

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark.Ricca Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:43 pm

Well, why didn't you say so?! That leaves me lots of time.

What a Face
Mark.Ricca
Mark.Ricca

Back to top Go down

Post  Yoni Ovadia Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:56 pm

Linda Baehr wrote:I agree with most of what you guys are saying. I think when people like Coehlo get so super specific as to say blue stones, etc., they are just making things up. Blue stones? Really? Have you ever had a blue stone in your mouth? Would it taste different than a grey stone? My notes are very basic and simple.
And unfortunatel, Mark, as men approach and pass age 50, their sense of taste starts to diminish. Not saying that is your case, but it is just male physiology. Mad

Blue Stones are actually quite tasty. If you see one on the ground. Pick it up and taste it. Yummmmmm.

I also read a review where he described "Plum Cake." That just sounds gross.
Yoni Ovadia
Yoni Ovadia

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Smith Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:01 pm

I am a huge fan of filtered (not strained!) yogurt.

I also like a recent review that included both pork grease and 'the beefiest' in the same TN.

I think it was actually beef grease that he tasted.
Rick Smith
Rick Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Wells Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:52 pm

Last edited by Justin Wells on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Justin Wells
Justin Wells

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Smith Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:30 pm

Wine descriptors: How do you say it? Rron202l
Rick Smith
Rick Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:49 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:I realized early that identifying all the particular flavors and aromas didn't mean jack squat as to the quality of the wine. That being said I do enjoy them but that shouldn't be the only thing you are looking for when describing and evaluating the wine. Its one of the reasons I don't discuss much at tastings or focused events. People sitting near me want to hear what I think but I don't like influencing people. Lots of people will do like Bill said as soon as something is mentioned. Some of the regulars love to announce what they are getting form the wines loud and clear. Neutral
When you get off your high horse, read this...

You don't influence anyone with your tastings.
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

https://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Wells Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:17 am

Justin Wells
Justin Wells

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down