Wine Berserkers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

+16
Mark.Ricca
Jeff Mazen
Rick Smith
William Segui
D. Morris
Jorge Henriquez
Terence T-Bone Livingston
Steve Saxon
mike pobega
C. Fu
Yoni Ovadia
Cris Whetstone
Todd F r e n c h
Bob Kaminski
Justin Wells
Bill Tex Landreth
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink? - Page 2 Empty Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Justin Wells Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:40 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Bill Tex Landreth wrote:Ahhh...our dear friends the Sheehans. Never do they drink an non-legendary wine and never do they score under 90 points.
It is physically impossible to score a wine under 90 points if you never drink one under 90 points, right?

Mentally either.
Justin Wells
Justin Wells

Back to top Go down

As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink? - Page 2 Empty Re: As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink?

Post  Terence T-Bone Livingston Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:43 pm

If I like the wine: Very Happy

If the wine is just ok: Neutral

If the wine sucks ass: pig

If the wine has hair inside the bottle: afro

If the wine is over the top: bom

If the wine makes me go apeshit: monkey

No points needed.
Fro-terator
Fro-terator

http://www.fiddleheadcellars.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Tex Landreth Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:44 pm

Don't all wines make you go apeshit?
Bill Tex Landreth
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:50 pm

Justin Wells wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Bill Tex Landreth wrote:Ahhh...our dear friends the Sheehans. Never do they drink an non-legendary wine and never do they score under 90 points.
It is physically impossible to score a wine under 90 points if you never drink one under 90 points, right?

Mentally either.
What about metaphysically?
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

https://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jorge Henriquez Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:00 pm

Terence T-Bone Livingston wrote:
If the wine sucks ass: pig

Bone, what pigs you hanging out with?
Jorge Henriquez
Jorge Henriquez
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Cris Whetstone Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:14 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
....or $90 a bottle.
Cris Whetstone
Cris Whetstone
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  C. Fu Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:46 pm

i didn't even know Delotte paid that much.
C. Fu
C. Fu

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Morris Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:54 pm

mike pobega wrote:Points are helpful mostly to the writer. It helps identify and correlate his/her own points of reference.

Look at that, me and Mike agree here. To be honest, what the hell do I know about rating a wine. I throw points on some wines in CT but they're not terribly relevant to anyone who doesn't know my palate. As an example, I really like the Adrian Fog Savoy pinots and would rate them highly. Is the wine representative of the grape and the region? Probably not, but I like the wine. A lot of people think they suck...oh well.
D. Morris
D. Morris

Back to top Go down

Post  William Segui Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:54 pm

Who are you calling an amateur?
William Segui
William Segui

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Smith Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:05 am

C. Fu wrote:

Big 4 firms pay quite well...
Rick Smith
Rick Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Mazen Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:40 am

This scale works for me:
Buy a bottle
Buy 3
Buy 6
Buy a case
Excuse me but do you give a break on a pallet?
Jeff Mazen
Jeff Mazen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark.Ricca Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:11 am

I think it's fair to say that if your method gets your point (no pun intended) across, then points, descriptors or a combination of the two are valid.
Are you making notes for just yourself or yourself and others?
Mark.Ricca
Mark.Ricca

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Tex Landreth Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:23 pm

C. Fu wrote:

Pretty much all that juice the DB's drink is on their respective daddy's.
Bill Tex Landreth
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  mike pobega Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:27 pm

Dave Morris wrote:
mike pobega wrote:Points are helpful mostly to the writer. It helps identify and correlate his/her own points of reference.

Look at that, me and Mike agree here.

and if you actually ever met Mike you may find him human and very fair in his approach to all things life related..... Evil or Very Mad
mike pobega
mike pobega

Back to top Go down

As Amateurs...Should We Give Points To The Wines We Drink? - Page 2 Empty it's all relative

Post  J. Pfohl Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:56 am

Trevor told me my mag of 89 Krug was crap and backed out of the auction. Then he opened an identical for his sister for some big occasion and gave it high praise. I'm just hoping he shared it with his high horse. But I feel for him, it must be very hard to be that young, arrogant and clueless while still trying to look cool. lol!

OK to points/scores. Yes I think they are useful as a guideline. You need to know the person and their palate so a random score does no good, but a random note isn't much good either. "lots of vanilla, spice, cherry, and kirsch". But did I like it? You need to see if it got a "A" or a "F" in my scoring system.

Indeed they are for my reference more than anything else, but with time it gives you some perspective into my palate and if you had the same wine and thought highly of it, and I gave it a "high score" now we can start correlating palates without ever needing to drink together. OR we we totally differed on how much we liked/disliked it, we have a calibration point. I don't need to agree with you, or you with me, and our adjectives may differ in describing the wine, but combining it all gives the fuller picture and the point of reference we need.

For reference all I need is my friend Norm to say "get a bottle, this is great stuff" to make me buy some. I don't need his note, his "score" of "Great stuff" is enough for me.

For Larry, I need not only his score, and his notes but to engage him in conversation. He experiences wine differently than I do. (that's the best we've been able to state it so far) We can sit side by side and you would never believe we were drinking the same stuff generally if you read our notes or heard us describe what was in the glass. So we are still looking for that "point of reference" between us and scores/notes/reading tea leaves/whatever is helpful. The more info the better.

For Howard, I trust his dessert, rhone and burgundy palate. But we diverge so far on Bordeaux, Italy, Cabs that it took a while of us drinking together, travelling together, and reading each other's notes AND SCORES (he loves Chapoutier much more than I do) to pin down the differences across all regions of the world. And within regions, I'll stop with this final example, the score is important. Howard loves Chapoutier wines, I don't. But we both love Rhones generally and agree except here. So I need his scores and notes, and eventually the wine name, before I can make a buy/don't buy decision.
J. Pfohl
J. Pfohl

http://www.globalplatinumgroup.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Holdredge Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:03 pm

Greed being part of human nature, the use of points inevitably leads to point-shaving scandals.

John Holdredge

Back to top Go down

Post  mike pobega Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:16 pm

As I approach 48 I realize that I'm really only in it for the 'buzz'.......
mike pobega
mike pobega

Back to top Go down

Post  Cris Whetstone Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:11 pm

J. Pfohl wrote:Trevor told me my mag of 89 Krug was crap and backed out of the auction. Then he opened an identical for his sister for some big occasion and gave it high praise. I'm just hoping he shared it with his high horse. But I feel for him, it must be very hard to be that young, arrogant and clueless while still trying to look cool. lol!
Gosh you are so mean! Wink
Cris Whetstone
Cris Whetstone
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Pfohl Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:21 pm

Cris Whetstone wrote:
J. Pfohl wrote:Trevor told me my mag of 89 Krug was crap and backed out of the auction. Then he opened an identical for his sister for some big occasion and gave it high praise. I'm just hoping he shared it with his high horse. But I feel for him, it must be very hard to be that young, arrogant and clueless while still trying to look cool. lol!

Am I going to be banned already?? lol!
J. Pfohl
J. Pfohl

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Levine Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:22 pm

i score neither wine nor women, bad form all around i think.
Glenn Levine
Glenn Levine

Back to top Go down

Post  Cris Whetstone Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:26 pm

J. Pfohl wrote:
Cris Whetstone wrote:

Am I going to be banned already?? lol!
No but we might bump your status up for comments like that. Very Happy
Cris Whetstone
Cris Whetstone
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Terence T-Bone Livingston Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Glenn Levine wrote:i score neither wine nor women, bad form all around i think.

Disagree. If they're both tasty...you've scored!
Fro-terator
Fro-terator

http://www.fiddleheadcellars.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Saxon Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:48 pm

I'm a nose guy.....nothing worst than a corked woman.
Steve Saxon
Steve Saxon

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenn Levine Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:02 pm

@ my age, and level of experience with both, i've no need to keep score any longer.
Glenn Levine
Glenn Levine

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Pfohl Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:01 am

Glenn Levine wrote:
@ my age

They have little blue pills for you older guys affraid
J. Pfohl
J. Pfohl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next