Wine Berserkers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you determine what wines to take to an offline?

+12
Bob Hudak
J. Pfohl
Philip Ro b ert
Ian Dorin
Bill Tex Landreth
mike pobega
Jorge Henriquez
Todd F r e n c h
Steve Saxon
LeahAmir
Justin Wells
Linda Baehr
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How do you determine what wines to take to an offline? Empty How do you determine what wines to take to an offline?

Post  Linda Baehr Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:48 am

Aside from a theme, of course, how do you make your selection? Do you try to guess what the value of wines other people will be bringing and aim for that price range? Do you just bring what you like or what you think other people might like? Is there one-upsmanship involved?
Linda Baehr
Linda Baehr

Back to top Go down

How do you determine what wines to take to an offline? Empty Re: How do you determine what wines to take to an offline?

Post  Justin Wells Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:04 am

Last edited by Justin Wells on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Justin Wells
Justin Wells

Back to top Go down

How do you determine what wines to take to an offline? Empty Re: How do you determine what wines to take to an offline?

Post  LeahAmir Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:58 am

Justin, I second that.... Very Happy
LeahAmir
LeahAmir

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Saxon Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:17 am

Justin Wells wrote:I usually take into consideration what kind of bottle the cheapskates of the group will bring, divide that by the best possible bottle I could bring to fit the theme and shoot somewhere in the upper-middle.

But with certain groups I generally try to pull the very best I have for the event.

The number of people expected certainly comes into play as well. I'm not cracking something super nice if I'm only gonna get an ounce of it.

I'm dying to see what you bring to my house this weekend.
Steve Saxon
Steve Saxon

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Wells Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:29 am

Last edited by Justin Wells on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Justin Wells
Justin Wells

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Saxon Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:33 am

Justin Wells wrote:
Steve Saxon wrote:I'm really looking forward to hanging out with you this weekend, it's been a while.

There ya go Steve, I fixed it for you.

Jack Bulkin was pointing that gun at me. Smile
Steve Saxon
Steve Saxon

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Wells Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:41 am

Last edited by Justin Wells on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Justin Wells
Justin Wells

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd F r e n c h Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:23 am

It's so cute that you lovers are going to have a cute weekend get-together...
Todd F r e n c h
Todd F r e n c h
Admin

https://wineberserkers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jorge Henriquez Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:34 pm

I just ask myself "What would Victor Hong do?" and then do the opposite. lol!
Jorge Henriquez
Jorge Henriquez
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  mike pobega Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:36 pm

Jorge Henriquez wrote:I just ask myself "What would Victor Hong do?" and then do the opposite. lol!

What? No doggie bag for you?
mike pobega
mike pobega

Back to top Go down

Post  Linda Baehr Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:57 pm

Jorge Henriquez wrote:I just ask myself "What would Victor Hong do?" and then do the opposite. lol!

Bring your own rare cream?

Seriously. I think I have offline anxiety.
Linda Baehr
Linda Baehr

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Tex Landreth Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:22 pm

Knowing the group is important. When I hang with the local crew, I don't think we ever try to "one up" each other. We pick a theme and bring something that fits...and usually a second bottle maybe in theme or out, just to try.

Going blind into an event, I would do what Jay Dub said.
Bill Tex Landreth
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Dorin Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:43 pm

Depends on if a free dinner is on the line. Very Happy

Ian Dorin

http://www.WineLibrary.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Philip Ro b ert Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:15 pm

WWVD?
What would victor do Razz

The local crew is always generous, but don't think you'll ever get a doggie bag from this group, there is never any food left over (except for my dog Beacon, KOM likes to give him leftover flannery bones)
Philip Ro b ert
Philip Ro b ert

Back to top Go down

Post  Jorge Henriquez Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:21 pm

Philip Robert wrote:WWVD?
What would victor do Razz

The local crew is always generous, but don't think you'll ever get a doggie bag from this group, there is never any food left over (except for my dog Beacon, KOM likes to give him leftover flannery bones)

A poor noodle-slinger is not choosy. He'll take bones as well. Make yummy bloth fol many many cold nights on a looftop tellace.
Jorge Henriquez
Jorge Henriquez
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Wells Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:24 pm

Last edited by Justin Wells on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Justin Wells
Justin Wells

Back to top Go down

Post  Jorge Henriquez Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:27 pm

Justin Wells wrote:

Hory clap!!!! My gut hults flom raughing sooooo mush!!!!
Jorge Henriquez
Jorge Henriquez
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

How do you determine what wines to take to an offline? Empty Lots of factors

Post  J. Pfohl Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:31 am

Theme of course. How many people. Who are they and what are they likely to bring.

For the offlines for Hospice du Rhone, for instance, with 200 of my closest friends, something solid, something good but not super rare or will break the bank.

For an offline with a smaller group of hardcore geeks, just about anything from my cellar is in danger of being opened. I've popped Grange for a visitor just because he never had one. (3x actually). When Bill finally had the OK from his Dr to drink I brought Chave, Grange and a Guigal La. The pre-New Year's offline at my place was 99 Cristal as i wanted a Cristal to start off the night, but figured opening it when 100 people were around was stupid, so I invited 4 friends over for a pre-party.

For mid-range geeks, something slightly better than I think they normally drink. Yup, I'm a "wine pusher". Hey little girl... first sip is free..... lol!

I'm pretty generous I think, and am told, out of my cellar, but you also need to bring a wine for the occasion. Why bring Guigal La if the next best someone is going to bring is Yellow Tail for instance.
J. Pfohl
J. Pfohl

http://www.globalplatinumgroup.com

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Pfohl Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:32 am

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
Justin Wells wrote:

Hory clap!!!! My gut hults flom raughing sooooo mush!!!!

http://www.engrish.com
affraid
J. Pfohl
J. Pfohl

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Hudak Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:27 pm

I try to bring something that people really would liek to have, so I would not be thought of as a slacker. I have a CdP OL coming up, and I have virtually no CdP that qualifies in the my cellar. the theme is 2000 vintage or older. So, I am going to have to hunt something up.
Bob Hudak
Bob Hudak

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Tex Landreth Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:30 pm

J. Pfohl wrote:Theme of course. How many people. Who are they and what are they likely to bring.

For the offlines for Hospice du Rhone, for instance, with 200 of my closest friends, something solid, something good but not super rare or will break the bank.

For an offline with a smaller group of hardcore geeks, just about anything from my cellar is in danger of being opened. I've popped Grange for a visitor just because he never had one. (3x actually). When Bill finally had the OK from his Dr to drink I brought Chave, Grange and a Guigal La. The pre-New Year's offline at my place was 99 Cristal as i wanted a Cristal to start off the night, but figured opening it when 100 people were around was stupid, so I invited 4 friends over for a pre-party.

For mid-range geeks, something slightly better than I think they normally drink. Yup, I'm a "wine pusher". Hey little girl... first sip is free..... lol!

I'm pretty generous I think, and am told, out of my cellar, but you also need to bring a wine for the occasion. Why bring Guigal La if the next best someone is going to bring is Yellow Tail for instance.

What about Flannery Fest II?
Bill Tex Landreth
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  L e o F r o k i c Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:50 pm

Depends on many factors so it's hard to explain. Whenever possible, I like to use wines from my cellar rather than sourcing. If offline is a theme, then it depends on how many and what everyone is bringing but most importantly I try to bring something that's at least comparable in value.

L e o F r o k i c

Back to top Go down

How do you determine what wines to take to an offline? Empty you tell me

Post  J. Pfohl Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:19 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:

You tell me. First whatever you want, if I have it of course, as host having something you want would be key. Second, how many people will be there?

With all that red meat, I figured a nice beringer white zin. Evil or Very Mad
J. Pfohl
J. Pfohl

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Tex Landreth Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:22 pm

J. Pfohl wrote:
Bill Tex Landreth wrote:

You tell me. First whatever you want, if I have it of course, as host having something you want would be key. Second, how many people will be there?

With all that red meat, I figured a nice beringer white zin. Evil or Very Mad
\

50 people there. I was thinking of a 3 Liter bottle of Poker Face.
Bill Tex Landreth
Bill Tex Landreth
MaoDerator

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Pfohl Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:30 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:

50 people there. I was thinking of a 3 Liter bottle of Poker Face.

I only have a 9.0 and 12.0 L of the Poker face. Send me the guest list, or just introduce me to the guest of my choice, and I'll consider it Wink
J. Pfohl
J. Pfohl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next