Wine Berserkers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you determine what wines to take to an offline?

+12
Bob Hudak
J. Pfohl
Philip Ro b ert
Ian Dorin
Bill Tex Landreth
mike pobega
Jorge Henriquez
Todd F r e n c h
Steve Saxon
LeahAmir
Justin Wells
Linda Baehr
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How do you determine what wines to take to an offline? - Page 2 Empty Re: How do you determine what wines to take to an offline?

Post  Mark.Ricca Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:51 am

A poor noodle-slinger is not choosy. He'll take bones as well. Make yummy bloth fol many many cold nights on a looftop tellace.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ Jorge,
Just throw all PC out the window!!!

I think knowing the group is important and helpful, but since it is not always possible I try to think in terms of what I want to contribute to the event. Usually some parameters have been set and I try to find a fit that will pleasantly surprise as well. I am a poor rabbit of meager means so it's not usually a killer expensive bottle that I try to impress with, but maybe something really good but long forgotten and off the radar. I remember showing up to a poker game a few years back with a bottle of '98 Turkey Flat Barossa Shiraz. Everybody was like "oh yeah" until they looked at the vintage. Familiarity with the group though is key.

How do you determine what wines to take to an offline? - Page 2 107a

"Hey You! Enliquez guy!!! Stop making steliotype leflences. You want blown lice with dat?"
Mark.Ricca
Mark.Ricca

Back to top Go down

How do you determine what wines to take to an offline? - Page 2 Empty Re: How do you determine what wines to take to an offline?

Post  Glenn Levine Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:27 pm

i open anything when the offline is @ my crib. small soirees i try to bring something that others will like, perhaps remember. big parties i am going to try to remember the cheapskate formula above as i am tired of being burned.
Glenn Levine
Glenn Levine

Back to top Go down

Post  William Segui Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:28 pm

Familiarity plays a big role. My regular tasting group tends to $30-50 bottles. I have a few very infrequent gatherings that are quite often 2x-3x's that. With a new group, I always try to bring something relatively hard to find or something that I know is drinking well. I don't own much of anything over the $150 mark, so I'm easily outspent by those with deeper pockets and cellars, but with a little work I'm rarely 'that guy'.

***Disclaimer: I'm often that guy, but for reasons rarely to do with the wine I bring, more often the wine I consume.
William Segui
William Segui

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2