Wine Berserkers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else on a 'wine buying freeze' but me?

+32
Dennis A
Loren Sonkin
John Holdredge
Otto Dobre
LeahAmir
Brad Swallow
Dave_Brown
Eric LeVine
Rich K0rzenk0
L e o F r o k i c
P. Davis
Bob Wood
Nancy Dolce
Brandon Miller
Peter M Czyryca
Jack Bulkin
William Segui
Bob Kaminski
D. Morris
Jeff Mazen
larry schaffer
Yoni Ovadia
Zachary L A N G
Bill Tex Landreth
Tony V e l e b i l
Joe Hauck
Melissa McCall
Steve Saxon
Jorge Henriquez
Justin Wells
Terence T-Bone Livingston
Todd F r e n c h
36 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Anyone else on a 'wine buying freeze' but me? - Page 2 Empty Wine Buying Freeze

Post  Nancy Dolce Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:51 am

Not what our winemaker friends want to hear! I'm on a slow down because my storage has hit its limits. Must consume faster I guess.

I also need to broaden out to other areas and fill the holes when it comes to European wines.
Nancy Dolce
Nancy Dolce

Back to top Go down

Anyone else on a 'wine buying freeze' but me? - Page 2 Empty Nancy is here! Yeehaw!

Post  Bob Wood Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:56 am

Thanks for joining us, Nancy! Most of the cool kids are here.
Bob Wood
Bob Wood
Technical Admin

Back to top Go down

Anyone else on a 'wine buying freeze' but me? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone else on a 'wine buying freeze' but me?

Post  P. Davis Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:08 pm

I'm with you Todd. I'm broker than broke and who knows what will happen with this economy. No wine buying for me. Crying or Very sad

And I just got notice that the Aubert allocation is coming in 2 weeks.
P. Davis
P. Davis

Back to top Go down

Anyone else on a 'wine buying freeze' but me? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone else on a 'wine buying freeze' but me?

Post  L e o F r o k i c Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:57 pm

I can proudly say that I haven't bought a single bottle this year......

L e o F r o k i c

Back to top Go down

Post  Zachary L A N G Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:43 pm

I can proudly say that I drank a bunch of Leo's wine this year!!!!!
Zachary L A N G
Zachary L A N G
MaoDerator

http://www.lawdoctors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nancy Dolce Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:44 pm

Bob Wood wrote:Thanks for joining us, Nancy! Most of the cool kids are here.

Gee, I always wanted to hang out with the cool crowd!
Nancy Dolce
Nancy Dolce

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich K0rzenk0 Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:29 pm

Its more like a chill. I'm going with more QPR and anticipate maybe a splurge around March on more higher end bottle. Otherwise, its all about Spain, S. America and trying to round out 2004 Bordeaux.
Rich K0rzenk0
Rich K0rzenk0

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric LeVine Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:23 pm

Bernie Madoff helped put me on a freeze. I am estimating a 2-year freeze on all wine purchases with the ONLY exception being SQN. With 3,500 bottles in the cellar this is a good exercise in reality anyway.
Eric LeVine
Eric LeVine

http://www.cellartracker.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Bulkin Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:39 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:Bernie Madoff helped put me on a freeze. I am estimating a 2-year freeze on all wine purchases with the ONLY exception being SQN. With 3,500 bottles in the cellar this is a good exercise in reality anyway.

Eric, sorry to hear you got madoffed. Sad I have cut back on Cali, but am still buying Bords and CDP's wines you like so you know you are covered here in the desert.
Jack Bulkin
Jack Bulkin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave_Brown Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:03 am

definitely on a freeze, and selling off a lot. The economy sucks! I will be making exceptions for two bottles of Carlisle and my KB allocation, however.

Dave_Brown

Back to top Go down

Post  Brad Swallow Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:48 am

L e o F r o k i c wrote:I can proudly say that I haven't bought a single bottle this year......

I can proudly say I haven't bought a single bottle today. Although I probably should cut back dramatically, I keep getting added to tempting lists. Betz, for example. How could I say no? Then there are the essentials like Copain next week. Can't pass that up. On the rare day when a mailer doesn't hit my inbox, there are too many other deals out there (back-filling on CDP and German and Alsatian Riesling).
Brad Swallow
Brad Swallow

Back to top Go down

Post  Yoni Ovadia Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:51 am

Eric LeVine wrote:Bernie Madoff helped put me on a freeze. I am estimating a 2-year freeze on all wine purchases with the ONLY exception being SQN. With 3,500 bottles in the cellar this is a good exercise in reality anyway.

Wow Eric, so sorry to hear about that.

But like you said with 3500 bottles, you should be good....for 6 or 7 months...
Yoni Ovadia
Yoni Ovadia

Back to top Go down

Post  LeahAmir Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:10 am

I haven't bought a single bottle since the start of 2009. Have plenty to drink for now and saving money for a house...

But some offers are tempting but I'm being really good! Very Happy
LeahAmir
LeahAmir

Back to top Go down

Post  Otto Dobre Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:59 am

Have slowed down somewhat, there are a bunch of very appealing sales, and if they hit the right note I will go in. But for now the main reason for the freeze is the lack of storage space. I will have to either get a stand alone wine cellar of 1500 bottles and forgo half of my garage or spend the bucks and build a cellar in my family room enclave, that would only support 600 or so bottles and would cost me some $$$. Or I can sell the wine and start over...and I've seriosly considered that a number of times!

Otto
Otto Dobre
Otto Dobre

Back to top Go down

Post  Brandon Miller Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:11 am

Yoni Ovadia wrote:

Wow Eric, so sorry to hear about that.

But like you said with 3500 bottles, you should be good....for 6 or 7 months...

I'll be in Seattle in July and with Eric's open door policy I'll be there to finish the job! Very Happy
Brandon Miller
Brandon Miller

http://www.colemannicole.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Holdredge Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:12 pm

Prices are dropping, bargains galore everywhere, I am buying like there is no tomorrow. And drinking the same way. Forget holding these ridiculous stashes of wine- it's there to be drank, and I'm devoted to the cause.

John Holdredge

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony V e l e b i l Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:17 pm

I'm basically buying nothing...except a few QPR whites to have around for something to drink while cooking. Most all have been in the $10-15 range. I did pick up a couple of 05 Feraud-Brune CdR's though for $15 yesterday..
Tony V e l e b i l
Tony V e l e b i l

Back to top Go down

Post  Loren Sonkin Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:55 pm

I am still buying from producers whom I want to support thru mailers. As for high end wines, if I see a wine that seems like a bargain, then I will buy. Overall though, my buying is down about 67%.
Loren Sonkin
Loren Sonkin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nancy Dolce Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:48 am

Wow, how do you keep track of that many bottles anyway? Wink

Sorry about the Ponzi experience.
Nancy Dolce
Nancy Dolce

Back to top Go down

Post  Dennis A Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:21 am

It really is hard to not buy wine. It's become a freakin disease.
I actually deleted a bunch of recent mailers as soon as they hit my inbox.
Doing good though, in cutting back.
I'm down about 30% in total bottles held since last year this time. A bit of a reality check as Eric said above.
Reality bites! bounce
Dennis A
Dennis A

Back to top Go down

Post  Brad Swallow Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:34 am

Dennis A wrote:It's become a freakin disease.
bounce

I feel the same way. I should see a shrink.
Brad Swallow
Brad Swallow

Back to top Go down

Post  Otto Dobre Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:53 am

Brad Swallow wrote:
Dennis A wrote:It's become a freakin disease.
bounce

I feel the same way. I should see a shrink.

Paging Drs B. H.!!!

Also keep in mind, since it's a disease, you have certain rights rabbit

Otto
Otto Dobre
Otto Dobre

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul H. Potter Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:54 am

1 bottle so far this month. However I know I will be buying some Evesham Wood and St. Innocent next month. Still want to support producers I really enjoy and feel bring appropriate value.

Paul H. Potter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kyle S C H affer Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:52 pm

I have been on a wine buying freeze since late Dec. Was going really well until yesterday- fell off the wagon and bought a bunch.

I've noticed that every time I'm on a freeze (once or twice a year) it usually ends with me binge shopping to satisfy pent up demand. Makes me wonder if I really come out ahead at all....

Kyle S C H affer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Pecken Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:55 pm

Trying to stop....must be strong!!! What a Face
Mark Pecken
Mark Pecken

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next